1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 7 or Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by elcajongunsfan, 2015/03/19.

1. 2015/03/19
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This is just an opinion based thread (If it's in the wrong place, please relocate)

So my brother in law's desktop with Vista has a dying hard drive. He called me with my recommendation on a new desktop. I'm a fan of clones not proprietary. But here's the dilemma and I understand it wont be popular with some folks around here. I want to suggest he go with Win 7 although Msoft keeps pushing their failed Win 8 platform, statistics suggest that Win 8 caused a decline in desktop and laptop sales--WHERE'S MY START BUTTON!!??

All,except for the mom and pop shops sell pre built with Win 8 loaded. I have a win 8 machine and I can't stand it either. Mostly I am wondering about Msoft support after buying and installing a win 7 machine--Maybe Win 10 will come in next year. Here's a telling stat about O/Ss WIN 7 wins the day!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/5417/942aSY.jpg

Thanks all

2. 2015/03/19
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have both and like them equally.

As for the start menu on Win 8, there are several programs out there that are FREE that will make 8 or 8.1 look like earlier versions of windows.

Last edited: 2015/03/20

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/19
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Win 8 for sure. If you want a Start button there are a number of utlis, both paid & free which would restore it.

5. 2015/03/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi elcajongunsfan.

Rather than making a long post about whether you should go with Windows 7 or Windows 8 I will quote myself over the years and leave it up to you on making a decision to go with Windows 8.

Hopefully all of my canned texts have summed up your question nicely.

The bottom line: The performance comparison between the two OS's is miniscule so don't let that be a determining factor. If you can handle doing some tweaking to get Windows 8.1 to become more user friendly then you can upgrade to it and it is more secure but if you don't want to deal with spending a lot of time trying to fix Microsoft's mistakes and want a consistent interface then go with Windows 7. :)

rsinfo likes this.
  6. 2015/03/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Windows 8 any day! And yes, with Start8.

Then again, I'm moving to Windows 10, I hope to say さようなら to Windows 8 in the next few days for good..

Arie,
  7. 2015/03/20

Yeah but how do you tell a non tech savvy customer "OH. we can fix that Start button deficiency " And running some 3rd party obscure tool destroys everything.. I googled win 8 opinions and frankly nobody is thrilled with it. Even some of Broni''s malware removal tools are not win 8 compatible

Now, why would Msoft wreck a good desktop theme? They placed a bet that desktops were going the way of the floppy disk and that is what Win8 is made for--touch screen laptops

Regards

ps Thanks to Evan Omo for a good read

Last edited: 2015/03/20
  8. 2015/03/21
    Evan Omo

Well most regular users would just live with the Windows 8 UI or if they are getting tired of dealing with it then they would call up tech's like me to access their machine and disable the touch screen interface that many people don't care for.

Because they wanted to bring up their Microsoft App Store as the center of attention so they could unify the experience on all devices. But it comes across as jarring and the OS feels unfinished.

9. 2015/03/23
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

My old clunker is in serious need of replacement, but rather than get into Win 8.1, maybe it would be better to go with Win 7 or let my old machine soldier on until Win 10 is out. Unfortunately there are not many new computers on the market with 7.

I'm definitely going lap-top, but not touch-screen and I'll probably be using it on a desk! After using my wife's iPad a few times, I definitely not a fan of touch-screens - if you do a good bit of typing and they don't have a keyboard, you're going to be a lot slower getting things done.

One issue pushing me to get a new machine is the fact that I'm still running Office 2003 and I can't read the multitude of ".docx" e-mail attachments we get. Office 2013 isn't compatible with XP and I'm not sure about going with Office 2007, which is the last version to work with XP that can handle ".docx" and is also compatible with 8.1. Office 07 is 8 years old and who knows how soon there'll be another ".doc something else ".

10. 2015/03/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Office 2003 works on 7, 8 and 8.1 with no problems.

11. 2015/03/24
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

12. 2015/03/25
    pweegar

pweegar Well-Known Member

As far as viewing the newer Microsoft Office file formats, you can download and install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack. Here is a link on how to accomplish this: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/924074. I've used the Compatibility Pack and it works well.

Hope this helps!

13. 2015/03/29

I'm going to leave this thread open another week or so for any other opinions

Thanks to all who participated

14. 2015/04/02

The client wanted to stick with Win7 and I agreed..No need to screw up a business environment with a new O/S and the learning curve that would have to be invoked.

15. 2015/04/02
    Evan Omo

Thanks for letting us know. :)

16. 2015/04/02
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I've tried both systems, and I prefer 7 by a landslide.

However, since 7's mainstream support ended in January, Microsoft updates have had a negative effect on taskbar icons (near the clock) by resetting them to the defaults. In addition, affected 7 system have problems remembering page layout options too.

I thought this was a lone issue with me, but so far I have seen this behavior on three separate 7 units after the 2015 updates were applied.

I believe Microsoft knows about these issues, but I doubt they will provide a fix since they are doing their best to bury Windows 7. I plan to stay with 7 as long as possible, but I hope Windows 10 does not resemble Windows 8's Android-type of operating system with it's intrusive privacy practices.