1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Bad automatic update?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SVEN, 2015/03/18.

1. 2015/03/18
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a desktop and a laptop, both running win7.
    the desktop gets used every day, but the laptop only 1 week a month. that means the desktop gets all updates immediately, while the laptop gets them only once a month.
    last week my desktop gave me a lot of " program is not responding" after I wait for a minute or so it comes back on and I can work till it happens again. this was getting worse and worse, till it was impossible to work on it. even the operating system had problems like it would not shut down. I had to hold the power button to turn it off. since I was going out of town, I let it sit and wanted to reseat all cards and wires when I came back. I was taking my laptop on this trip. on Monday evening I was shutting it down, it installed a bunch of updates and as soon as I turned it back on on Tuesday, I started to have the same problems with the laptop. program not responding. I had the desktop checked by Broni and it was clean. since it happened after the updates, it must have something to do with that, why else would 2 computer do the same thing?

any ideas on what is going on?

Sven

SVEN,
  2. 2015/03/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi SVEN, I have a funny idea that there was a recent update that caused a problem. Why not uninstall your recent updates for the last month on your laptop and then install them one at a time to locate the problem one? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/19
    SVEN

retiredlearner,
    thanks for your answer.
    it appears that I complained to soon. today I am in a different hotel and also get a better signal from the router and I have not encountered any " not responding" issues. thinking back on it, I only had the problem in WLM and IE.
    tomorrow I will be back home and try it again. hopefully I will have no further problems with my laptop.
    my desktop is a different story. I will take it apart and re-seat all wires and cards.
    hopefully that will solve the problem.
    I report back after that.

Sven

SVEN,
  5. 2015/03/20
    SVEN

Well, I am back home and my laptop is working just fine.
    bad connection in the hotel.
    I will take my desktop apart on Sunday and clean it and reseat all connections.
    hope that will do it.
    I post back after that.
    Sven

SVEN,
  6. 2015/03/22
    SVEN

I did take my desktop apart and cleaned out all the dust bunny's and reseated all cards and cables.
    after booting up, windows installed a few drivers ( I guess I plugged the devices in in to the wrong USB port) and for good measure I rebooted 3 times and all is fine. no more not responding.
    I guess I should clean out the case about once a year to keep it running fine.
    if any one has the same problem, clean the case and reseat all card and wires.

Sven

SVEN,
  7. 2015/03/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I usually clean/blowout my comps about every 3-4 months. The more fans used in cooling - the greater the movement of airborne dust and hairs. It gets through even the best of filters. Nice to know you're all back to normal. Neil.