1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Samsung RC512 laptop won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wardweb, 2014/12/22.

1. 2014/12/22
    wardweb

wardweb Inactive Thread Starter

I'm trying to fix a Samsung RC512 laptop that won't boot up. When I start it, the screen lights up with a top-left cursor that flashes twice, then the screen dies for 3 seconds, then re-lights, the cursor flashes twice, repeat.

When I forced a shutdown and restarted, pressing F2 for the BIOS app, the Boot Priority had been set to SATA CD first, SATA HDD second. There's nothing in the CD drive, so I changed the order to HDD first, but I get the same symptoms.

I tried F4, the Samsung system recovery, but that made no change. (Oddly, I got no prompt to confirm I wanted to delete all installed apps, or I wouldn't have approved that. :(

Does this look to you to be a hardware problem, or is there anything else I can do with the software to fix this?

2. 2014/12/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi wardweb. If you press F8 on startup can you access Safe Mode or try using Last Known Good Configuration?

Do you have a Windows 7 DVD?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/22
    wardweb

wardweb Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for a quick reply, Evan. I tried F8 on startup, both pressing it repeatedly and just holding it down, but that was ignored. Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration aren't available; just the same symptoms happen. I haven't a Win7 disk, unfortunately.

5. 2014/12/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Alright then. You will need to create a Windows 7 DVD to repair the Windows 7 OS. You can find Windows 7 SP1 ISO files here, Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads.

Once you have downloaded the ISO file you want, download and run the portable version of Active ISO Burner and burn the Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD.

Then boot the laptop from your Windows 7 DVD and see if that works. If it does then let me know and we can go from there.