1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Update doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by helpseeker, 2014/12/15.

1. 2014/12/15
    helpseeker

helpseeker Inactive Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop, purchased in 2011, running Win 7 Home Premium. After using it for about a year, it has sat dormant since then. I recently started it up and attempted to get Windows updates via Control Panel. But when I tell it to check for updates, I get this message: "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running."

I’ve tried the Windows troubleshooter, reboots, and the automatic "˜fix’ at the Microsoft site, but nothing works. Is there an easy way to revive the Windows Update function (either "˜automatic’ or "˜check for updates’)? Or can I find the updates on the Microsoft site and then download and install them?

I asked the tech guy at Staples who said there might be a virus on the machine that has disabled the Windows Update function.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 2014/12/15
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Are the date and time correct on the PC?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/15
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Check if your Windows Update service is started - here's how:

Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SERVICES.MSC
    hit the Enter key
    Accept any UAC prompt that appears, and in the Services control panel, look for the following:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service -
    double-click on it
    Check the Startup type - ensure that it is set to 'Automatic (Delayed Start),
    and OK out

Windows Update
    double-click on it
    Check the Startup type - ensure that it is set to 'Automatic (Delayed Start),
    and OK out

Now try starting the Windows Update service and the BITS - if you get errors, post the EXACT error message.

If all is OK, try Windows Updates again and see if the problem is solved.

kind regards,

5. 2014/12/16
    helpseeker

Yes, both are correect

6. 2014/12/16
    helpseeker

I did all that you said, and both are 'started' and 'automatic(delayed start). But when I tried to do an update, I get the same message I showed in the original post: “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.”

I have another Toshiba laptop also running Win 7. Can I just copy some of the update files from one machine to the other? Or is this just asking for trouble?

7. 2014/12/16
    MrBill

I would not copy them. Why don't you go to the Malware section and read the Announcement that is in RED and post what is asked. Malware will also cause the problem you are having. I am not saying that you have Malware, but at least we can rule it out. Broni is very good at what he does.

8. 2014/12/16
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

You may well have Malware, however try the following as it may help before posting a link in the Malware sub forum:

Go into Windows Update, Start > Control Panel > Windows update > in the left pane "Change Settings " and change the settings to "Never check for updates (not recommended) ", click OK, and then change it back to "Install updates automatically ". I'm sure that switching it off this way and then choosing any option that enables windows updates may help. Then click check for updates - several updates maybe ready to be downloaded and installed.

kind regards,

9. 2014/12/16
    helpseeker

Thanks, Tallin. You're a genius!
    I did what you said and the first thing that happened is it went and got an update for Windows Update. Once that was installed, it then searched for Windows updates. It found 199, which are now downloading, and which I'll tell it to install. I can see this is going to take some time, so I wanted to thank you now rather than wait. Thanks, also, to all others that offered help.

As soon as the updates are installed, and I'm assured that Automatic Updates works (fingers crossed!), I'll mark this thread closed.

10. 2014/12/16
    MrBill

Bet that there are updates for some of those updates if you have that many of them. :)

11. 2014/12/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

2 Years by the look of it. I would check in blocks of 35-40 at a time to ensure they all install without problems. Neil.

12. 2014/12/16
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Really glad your issue is almost solved. I would take the advice to download and install in small blocks as stated rebooting after each installation.

Let us know if you need more help.

kind regards,

13. 2014/12/17
    helpseeker

Mission accomplished!

At first pass, it only downloaded 136 updates, saying that 63 weren't downloaded. So I installed the 136. Then, on a second pass, it downloaded 133, saying that 3 weren't downloaded. I installed them, and went back for more. It then downloaded and installed the final 3. Thankfully, Windows is now up to date. I'll be doing regular updates from now on. Again, thanks to all for your help.