1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Clear Open Items in Start Menu.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kingman, 2014/10/20.

1. 2014/10/20
    Kingman

Kingman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Windows 7 Professional. Clicking Start in the bottom left corner shows the Start Menu with programs on the left. Each program shows a history of accessed folders and files on the right; I access dozens through the day. I can't highlight and delete all, so I have to right-click and delete one by one by one by.... Is there a way to highlight and delete all? I know I could just delete the left side and nothing will show on the right, but I don't want to do that; a LONG list will show up eventually. Properties for WordPad shows a Shortcut path of \%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe. The General tab shows \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories. In each case, I hoped to find a cache of pointers (like I did with the Temporary Internet Files) so I could delete all, but the paths don't seem to lead to pointers. Where are they?

2. 2014/10/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/20
    Kingman

Evan, I already have a Desktop display of Recent and Custom Destinations. It isn't what I'm after. The second item is. I changed the display to show zero and that looked good. But when I raised the number, everything showed again. The queue is still there. I'm trying to Delete All instead of one at a time.

5. 2014/10/20
    Evan Omo

See this link, Customize Start menu in Windows 7.

In that link look under the category Customizing Start menu Privacy options - program and documents tracking which will allow you to remove all the jump list items.

6. 2014/10/21
    Kingman

Now here's a problem. I want to keep all the jumps for one program but do a Delete All for the others. Looks like I'll have to delete manually now and then. I'll keep experimenting, but I'll probably be able to close this thread in a day or two. Thanks for your suggestions.

7. 2014/10/21
    Evan Omo

See there's your issue. To my knowledge you either clear out the jump lists for all the programs that have jump lists or you will have to delete the jump list items manually. There is no middle ground for clearing jump lists for all the programs and then keeping them for certain applications.

8. 2014/10/21
    Kingman

I'm afraid we agree. Thanks. Still, it would be nice to Delete All under one program at a time. I'll mark this closed now.