1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Start up problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by troof, 2014/09/28.

1. 2014/09/28
    troof

troof Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello. I am running Win7pro. This problem just started happening.

When I start up my PC in the morning after being shut down all night it goes to a DOS type screen and informs me that it has to do a check file. If I press any key it will skip this process. When I press a key and skip the process it lets me know that the process has been skipped.

At that point computer starts up normally and everything is OK.

This does not happen if I shut down and then restart my PC right away. At that point it will start up normally. It seems to have this problem only if the computer is shut down for a longer period of time.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Ted

2. 2014/09/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

There should be an option to let it check the files. I would do that...then you'll won't get the prompt.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/29
    troof

Hi Steve. I should have mentioned that I had let it run its course where it went through the whole check list of things. Reg compact and defrag, compress system hive,compress
    software hive,etc. All were successful.

I did this twice without any change in the intense start up procedure so from that point on I just "press any key within 10 seconds to skip" and went straight to the windows
    normal start up.

I hope it is not what I think it is.

Thanks,
    Ted

5. 2014/09/29
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What do you think it is? A failing Hard Drive?

6. 2014/09/29
    troof

Just a guess but yes that is my guess. Of course I have also guessed at lottery numbers and have been wrong.
    Ted

7. 2014/10/08
    troof

O.K. here is an update. I did not receive much in the way of an answer to my problem so I decided to take it to a computer repair tech. My computer behaved for the tech just as it has for me when starting up. (see start of thread)

He eliminated the possibility of a virus since this is happening before anything is loaded.
    He also decided that it was not caused by corrupted sectors or files. He then shut the computer down and then restarted it. Once again it started up normally.

He had two solutions. One, reformat the hard drive and reload the OS and my backed up
    files. Number two, just keep using the computer as is until something really bad happens
    and then bring it back in and probably replace the HD. The tech said he would think about this one and give me a call if he came up with anything. No call.

Kinda like a car problem the mechanic cannot diagnose until the engine blows. Yep, ya need an new engine.

Anyhow I chose option two and am now all backed up and ready for the worst to happen

That is it for now. Stay tuned.

Ted

8. 2014/10/08
    Steve R Jones

Win Explorer-> Right click on the drive and select properties
    Tools Tab
    Error Checking
    Use the default option for Auto Fix System Files

Give that a whirl around the block.

9. 2014/10/08
    troof

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to do as you suggested. I right clicked on drive c and selected properties. It took me to three choices - error checking, defrag and back up. I assume you were referring to the error check. When I clicked the check now choice I had two things to check, "auto fix file system errors and scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors" The auto fix choice was checked and the other was not. It would not let the process move forward until I restarted my computer. Just for grins I unchecked the auto fix file system errors and let it do its thing.

I then restarted my computer and it started up normally. Of course it usually does if it has not been turned off very long. After it was up and running I went back to drive c props and tools and "check the drive for errors ". When I clicked the check now I was back to the check disk options and the auto fix was already checked and the scan was not checked.

I hope I did as you requested and what I did is clear.

I feel like I am going around in circles at this point. Whirly, whirly, whirly

Thanks,
    Ted

10. 2014/10/09
    Steve R Jones

Let us know if the original problem is there today.

11. 2014/10/09
    troof

Hi Steve,
    Just like clockwork, my start up required another check disk right off the bat.

Local disk (c:) - Properties - Tab tools - Error checking - check now - "auto fix file system errors" checked as default. Could this be the problem???

Thanks again,
    Ted

12. 2014/10/09
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Nope, that's how it should be set.

Click the Start orb, type cmd and press [Enter]. At the cmd prompt, type fsutil dirty query c: and press [Enter]. What is the response?

13. 2014/10/09
    troof

is NOT Dirty.

14. 2014/10/09
    SpywareDr

15. 2014/10/09
    troof

I must be doing something wrong.

When I enter chkntfs /x c: it returns "The type of the file system is NTFS. "

I will reboot anyhow.

Ted

16. 2014/10/09
    troof

I rebooted and it started up normally. Of course this doesn't mean much at this point since it usually does start up normally if it has not been shut down for some time.

I will know better in the morning when I restart it then.

Thanks,
    Ted

17. 2014/10/10
    SpywareDr

If chkdsk still runs the next time you boot up, click the Start orb, type cmd, right-click the "cmd.exe" at the top of the list and select "Run as administrator ". At the cmd prompt, type chkdsk /r c: and press [Enter]. At the "Would you like to schedule this volume ... ", type y and press [Enter]. Now restart Windows and allow chkdsk to run all the way through to completion. It will check for and attempt to fix any errors it finds. If everythings is okay, Windows should start normally from this point forward.

18. 2014/10/10
    troof

Hi Doc.
    I did as you suggested. One thing about this attempt was how long it took to check everything. After it was finished I restarted my computer and I am sad to say there was no change in its behavior.

Is this something I should learn to live with until the wheels fall off?

I am at a loss at this point.

Thank you,
    Ted

19. 2014/10/10
    SpywareDr

1) Out of curosity, what is the value for "BootExecute" in the Windows Registry's "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager "? To find out, click the Start orb, type cmd and press [Enter]. At the cmd prompt, type (or copy and paste) in:

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v BootExecute
    and press [Enter]. The response should be:

Code:
    BootExecute    REG_MULTI_SZ    [color=red][b]autocheck autochk *[/b][/color]

It's that part in red that should be exactly as shown.

2) Have you downloaded and installed ALL available Windows Updates, (except Bing)? If not, please do so and test once again. IIRC, Microsoft once had a problem with chkdsk running repeatedly on some systems, and it took an update to cure the problem.

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there ...

20. 2014/10/10
    troof

Hello Dr.
    Here is the total of what was returned. As you can see the autocheck autochk * is present.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk /p \??\C:\0bootdelete\0s\0?
    ???\0????☻\0autocheck autochk /k:C *\0???☻\0(\0C:\Windows\system32\wbem\firewall
    api.mof\0l\0???☻☺\0*\0 122070527 total allocation units on disk.\0???☻\0)\0C:\Wi
    ndows\system32\wbem\imapiv2-base.mof\0l\0???☻\0(\0\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\s
    floppy.sys\0e\0???☻\0)\0C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe\0.

I don't know for sure about the updates. Where can I look to see if they have? I feel certain that I am up to date though.

Sure hope this helps.

Thank you,
    Ted

21. 2014/10/10
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Updates can be found in Control Panel/Programs and Features. To check if there are any updates open up IE and go to Tools/Windows updates. This will show if any are present. You should go to Check for updates on the left side of that window and let it check.