1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

c0000005 error, multiple programs affected

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zerahn, 2014/08/26.

1. 2014/08/26
    Zerahn

Zerahn Inactive Thread Starter

I've been suffering from this issue for about a year now, able to do very little on my computer without restarting between sessions. There's a whole slew of affected programs, sometimes it gives me a BEX issue, more often than not it does not, but c0000005 is the commonality. The issue has survived two or three complete reformats of Windows 7 Home, both x32 and x64 version. I've downloaded brand spankin' new copies of all my drivers at least twice, and each time completely uninstalled the old ones before installing the new ones. The only relevant post I could find on this was from like 6 years ago, under WinXP, where someone surmised the actual issue was the way Windows handled certain requests, which was not being reported as the actual culprit when the programs crashed.

What actually happens is, upon starting up the computer everything works fine. When I run one of the affected programs once, close it out, and then try to start it again, at ANY time during the computer's operation, the program crashes with a c0000005 error. I can leave the computer running for days, start up a program for the first time since reboot, and it'll probably work. Even if I've run one of the other programs in the list. But if I close it, and then either immediately after, or days later, try to run that program again, it crashes.

Affected programs are as follows:
    Diablo III, and the launcher
    Steam, just the launcher (Starbound is fine if run directly)
    Final Fantasy XIV
    VirtualBox
    VisualBoy Advance (an emulator)
    PCSX2 (another emulator)
    Firefall
    Warframe USED to be affected about 8 months ago; something they did in one of their updates cured it.

Unaffected programs:
    ePSXe (yeah, another emulator)
    Minecraft
    Final Fantasy XI's PlayOnline Viewer (and the game itself)
    Internet browsers (Firefox and IE)
    GameMaker 8.0
    QBASIC 64
    Etc...

I've run memtest86 overnight; it got through about 10 passes. Nothing reported. Driver Verifier turned up nothing, and it was running for over a week. Someone suggested I download a graphics card monitor and check for overheating; in the time between starting the computer and everything working fine, and when stuff started crashing, the temps changed by about 2 degrees. Maybe less.

Here are links to some crash dumps. If more or newer ones are required, they're easy enough to come by... :/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2WExVdkJuNjNNdlk/edit?usp=sharing (Diablo III)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2aEJ3VjRIM1ExTmM/edit?usp=sharing (Final Fantasy XIV)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2RWdYN2twZ2dFZWs/edit?usp=sharing (Firefall)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2ZE1PMjZBRXRIQ3c/edit?usp=sharing (PCSX2)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2ZFhzSndpRkhkN3c/edit?usp=sharing (Steam)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2amI0YnAtTWROeUk/edit?usp=sharing (VirtualBox)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0djXVPmTOM2MFZOMDJ3cm5nbHM/edit?usp=sharing (VisualBoy Advance)

2. 2014/08/26
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Here is a start, although it refers to Windows XP, it might be the same for 7.

I also would look at DirectX, make sure you have the version that your games need.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This is not a fix but explains why you get those errors:
    what causes "Exception code: C0000005
    However, you may be able to isolate the driver that is buggy.

Were it me, I'd swap out the video card and see if still get the errors.

5. 2014/08/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Zerahn, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :)
    I agree with TonyT regarding Graphics card but it will help us to help you if you take the time to fill in your System Details.
    This is under UserCP and don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and SAVE before closing out. Neil.

6. 2014/08/26
    Zerahn

hawk22: I've got the most recent version of DirectX 11. I may recall a few games needing older versions or something, but they weren't shy about complaining about it, so I went and got them too. Wouldn't they be incapable of running at all if it was a DirectX issue though? Most of them will run once, then require a restart to run again. (Firefall is particularly difficult.)

TonyT: I swapped out the graphics card for an older one I had; it took about 10 minutes for FFXIV to show any more than a blank screen, and upon closing and restarting it, I got the same error. I did read the post for which you've provided the link, it's the reason I managed to get crash dumps in the first place. But I don't know how to read them, and thus have no way to know if the problem driver is even mentioned.

retiredlearner: Thank you, I'll go fill that out now.

Update: Would it count if I completely uninstalled all my video card drivers to the point where I was at 640x480 and 256 colors? If so, I did that, and Steam still crashed with the c0000005 thing.

Last edited: 2014/08/26
  7. 2014/08/26
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Sorry the link that I meant to show was not there, here it is.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811270

Looking at your System specs, you could have "could" a compatibility issue.
    Are you Overclocking, it kind of looks that way to me, nothing against overclocking, but things get tight, not much leeway.
    Your CPU is AMD FX 4170 and your Ram is DDR3 2133 and that is not a recommended ram speed for that CPU. Yes it is compatible with your motherboard, but the sweet spot for your cpu is 1600, 2133 is usually OC.

I run AMD FX8350 on a ASUS M5A99FX-PRO-R2 with GSkill DDR3 - 1600 PC3-12800, I could use the 2133, but it would not be the most stable.

Saying all that, does not mean that this would solve your problem, but it does not help towards a stable system.
    hawk22

Last edited: 2014/08/26
  8. 2014/08/26
    retiredlearner

9. 2014/08/27
    Zerahn

hawk22: I'm not overclocking, no. Could a memory compatability issue be causing this kind of problem? Like I said, the games generally work once, perfectly fine, until I close them and try to start them back up again. (Excluding Firefall, which often requires several restarts and is in beta anyway.) I mean it's a memory access thing, after all...

For example, I'll start up my computer and run, say, FFXIV. Close it, then start it again and it crashes with the c0000005 error. BUT Diablo III will still work - until I close that, and try to run it again. Last time I really sat down and went over this, I was able to get through all of those programs in one session, until I tried to run them a second time.

I was fortunate enough to have an old video card I could use to see if that was the cause. It still happened, even though that card can handle some of the same programs fine on another PC.

retiredlearner: Thank you for the link - upon reading the review it seems to be focusing on framerates though, and I can't even get the affected programs to run more than once without a restart.

10. 2014/08/27
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You may also want to run Driver Verifier. Please read these instructions BEFORE using it as it can cause a BSOD loop that won't let you into Windows:
    More information on Drive Verifier here: Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Arie,
  11. 2014/08/27
    Zerahn

Hi Arie,

I'd already had Driver Verifier running for about a week, it didn't turn up anything at all, but the program crashes were consistent during that time.

12. 2014/08/27
    retiredlearner

What is the output of your PSU? Neil.

13. 2014/08/27
    Zerahn

Hi Neil,

It's a 600W. TR2-600NL2NC apparently. Since you mentioned PSUs, I just tried with a brand new 480W LogiSys, same issue.

Out of desperation I also just finished a complete reformat using my old video card from start to finish. Steam happily crashed with the same error. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's got nothing to do with the video card, but it's pretty much the only part that I can swap out without shelling out another $60+

14. 2014/08/27
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

To get a better picture, does this happen any other time, like when you are not playing games, or only when playing games.
    I am still not quite convinced that is not the Ram, although the indicators are software.
    Can you borrow a set of DDR3 12800 to try.

15. 2014/08/27
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Have you cleaned the CPU fan & is it running ok ?

If the CPU is overheating, it could cause unexplained crashes.

16. 2014/08/27
    Zerahn

It isn't strictly limited to "games," per se - Steam itself isn't a game, it's a game-launching client; it's affected by this crash, whereas Starbound, one of the games I used Steam to download, can be run directly without being affected. VirtualBox also isn't a game, it's an OS emulator. It's also affected by this problem. Warframe, another game, runs perfectly fine (at least since one of their updates in the last 8 months - it used to crash like the others).

If I could get my hands on another stick of RAM it would have been the first thing I tried - I actually checked my old computer when this first started happening to see if I could use its memory.

rsinfo: The fan started out clean (and still is), and this has been happening from the get go. I also had a system monitor installed that checked temperatures and stuff. The CPU, like the video card, never heated up more than a couple of degrees between when I started the computer, and when stuff wouldn't work any more.

17. 2014/08/27
    retiredlearner

I found this Thread of your's in another Forum:
    Zerahn

Windows 7 Home x64
    8 posts

Not a BSOD - C0000005 error, numerous games
    Hi there. I upgraded my mobo/CPU a while ago, and started getting 0xC0000005 errors shortly after. I've reformatted the computer about three times now, using Windows 7 Home, both the 32 and 64 bit versions (currently 64-bit is installed). I've run one of them there memory checkers, leaving it on all night, and it came up with nothing. I've replaced the video card with the old one, and I still got the error. It does not BSOD, the game just won't run. The following games are affected:
    Steam
    WarFrame
    Diablo III
    Final Fantasy XIV
    PCSX2

Unaffected are:
    ePSXe
    Minecraft
    Final Fantasy XI's PlayOnline Viewer

It might be relevant to note that affected programs will run as long as I start them within about a minute of turning on the computer, and they'll stay running until I close out of them and start them back up again, at which point I then get the 0xC0000005 error. Again, if I restart the computer (logging out of the desktop and back in does not work), and start the game within about a minute, it will run.

You mention that this occurred after changing your CPU. What is the CPU you installed in your Asus M5A97 M/B? You didn't mention this in your Thread Starter. Neil.

Last edited: 2014/08/27
  18. 2014/08/27
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

You do have a curly one here Zehran,

This is picking at the Stars, but I see you are using onboard audio, have you tried with a third party sound card, either USB or internal PCIe.

I know some Video cards have Audio built in, but don't know about yours.

Some time ago, can't remember details, I had problems on my W7 machine with audio, can't remember what used to happen, but it gave me the willies, so I went and bought a external Logitec Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro and that was the last of the problems. Best of all with a external one is, you can plug it into any comp and get great sound with a pair of good Logitec Speakers.

19. 2014/08/27
    retiredlearner

20. 2014/08/27
    Zerahn

hawk22: The mobo has an onboard sound card, which I just disabled in the bios because the HDMI-only video card apparently does have built-in sound. It was something I never would have thought of, but when I tried running Steam it went kaboom again. I'll leave it disabled anyway, because I'm not using it.

I think I'm going to break down and go buy a new RAM stick today. I tried changing the bios RAM setting to 2133 and it freaked out at me (beeeeep beep beep... beeeeep beep beep...) and changed it back after I cut the power.

21. 2014/08/27
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I had a look at your Motherboard Manual and the recommended Ram, mind you I know there is a lot of ram that will work that is not listed in the recommended list, and yours happens to be not listed, there is only 2 GSkill Rams listed for that board.
    What made you decide to buy that fast ram, what are your timings now, 2133 is obviously past what your CPU can cope with.
    But like we said before, we might be barking at the wrong thing altogether and it has nothing to do with Ram at all.

Obviously the Sound idea was a hole in the head as well.
    hawk22