1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved there was an error while completing the setup process, avast free

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JAK, 2014/08/24.

1. 2014/08/24
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Got a different Win 7 from someone. It had Bitdefender on it for a limited time. On expiration I went to put my trusty Avast free on and it keeps coming up, "there was an error while completing the setup process ". Prior to install I add/removed Bit. and then dl and ran the Bit. uninstaller in safe mode as described. Still got the error. I had/have the firewall turned off.

JAK,
  2. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

This error can occur if there are remnants of any other anti-virus program on the system. The following guide suggests a series of steps to resolve the problem:

Successfully Install Avast!

The link to the Rate Anti Virus Remover doesn't work, so try this one from ESET:

ESET AV Removal Tool

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/24
    JAK

I tried to run the ESET. I had add/removed Bit and doesn't show in add/remove. ESET said please remove BD manually before running ESET. now what?

JAK,
  5. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Run their specific tool from the alpha list below, then run the general tool.

6. 2014/08/24
    JAK

All links point to BD's site for their uninstall tool, but I can't locate the actual tool anywhere.

JAK,
  7. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2014/08/24
  8. 2014/08/24
    JAK

i did get the BD uninstaller dl. When I click on it to run it a popup says, 'Some installation files are corrupt. Please dl a fresh copy and retry install." I click on ok and then window says, "Extracting files to temp folder CRC failed in iservconfig.dll. The file "???" header is corrupt.

Will try the appremover.

JAK,
  9. 2014/08/24
    JAK

just tried the appremover. It scanned for items to remove and just came up with malwarebytes. I thought it would find remnants of others like BD.

JAK,
  10. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

What was the specific Bitdefender product that was originally installed?

The Removal Tool was for Bitdefender Free Edition.
    It ran OK for me, as did also the ESET tool.

If your Bitdefender product was a trial of a paid version, we need to get the correct Removal Tool for that product.

Since you have since run two other removal tools, you might try running ESET again and see if you still get the same message.

I would also run the registry tool in CCleaner and remove any registry entries that you can associate with Bitdefender. Be sure to make the recommended backup so you can restore the entries if necessary. Reboot after running CCleaner.

11. 2014/08/24
    JAK

I just went to safe mode and ran system restore back to a date where BD is still on. Just started appremover and it now found BD and i'm waiting as it removes BD. The circle has been spinning for about 10 min now. Normal?

Sorry i started that while waiting for a reply.

Appremover now spinning for 20+ min.

I closed appremover. BD is the free version. Still on comp at this time. But when you open the BD in the lower right hand tray the box comes up with a large red X instead of the green check mark and all of the other boxes below the X are empty.

JAK,
  12. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

One of two options. Go to Add/Remove Bitdefender Free and run the repair option, or try and install Bitdefender Free over the old installation.

If you get it up and running correctly, then try a straight uninstall. If that succeeds, run the Bitdefender Removal Tool afterwards to see if there are any remaining bits.

If all goes well, then try installing Avast!

13. 2014/08/24
    JAK

I tried add/remove. it's listed there but nothing happens.

I hooked to internet and dl from BD site the free installation. interesting, It dl 2 free BD files. one A/V freeedition.exe and one A/Vfreeedition.x86.exe. Opened the first and it said installing. But nothing changed in the bottom right tray. Still big red X and nothing in interface. Rebooted for the heck of it but nothing.

BD not listed under all programs...is listed in add/remove and ccleaner but neither will uninstall.

Pay to try BD removal or ESET tool?

JAK,
  14. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Usually x86 is the 64bit version.

You know the problem is BD, not your computer or Avast!

You could restore again and just run the BD Removal tool.

Bitdefender suggests accessing the Repair/Removal option directly from the start menu.

Repair or remove Bitdefender Free Edition

If you want to repair or remove Bitdefender Free Edition, follow the path from the Windows start menu: Start → All Programs → Bitdefender Free Edition → Repair or Remove.

A new window will appear.

Select the action you want to perform:

Repair Installation - to re-install all program components.
    Uninstall - to remove all installed components.

15. 2014/08/24
    JAK

i started restore now on my 32 bit comp. BD hasn't shown up in the all programs list recently...just in add/remove and ccleaner. And nothing happens in those 2.

i just went to run the BD removal tool and is says 'some installation files are corrupt. please dl a fresh copy and retry the installation.' I appear to be chasing my tale! Can't remove it until it's fixed!! It did mention again that file iservconfig.dll as a hang up.

Plan c or d?

I forgot about revo uninstaller. Just ran that and it "appeared" to run uninstall using their deep setting. See what happens on reboot.

JAK,
  16. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would use the CCleaner registry tool and remove everything identified with BD, then run the ESET tool again, then reboot and try to install Avast!

Even though the removal tool reports errors, it may in fact have been successful enough to allow Avast! to install.

Are you confident the computer is not already infected with malware?

17. 2014/08/24
    JAK

I didn't see any items under ccleaner's registry search. Installing Avast now and it looks positive. Avast and malwarebytes scanned w/o a find of anything.

JAK,
  18. 2014/08/24
    JAK

Thanks for your help. i think it's all good again.

JAK,
  19. 2014/08/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

That's great news. Congratulations!