1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Blue/Black screen on crash.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SwiiftYz, 2014/07/30.

1. 2014/07/30
    SwiiftYz

SwiiftYz Inactive Thread Starter

I have been experiencing a problem for the past two weeks now that leads my PC to blue/black screen and leave the audio looping/stuttering. I originally thought the issue was my graphics card overheating as I had noticed temperatures going as high as 95c which is the throttle point of the GTX 670 (I believe).

I was asked to benchmark the card and record the results which I did over the space of 3 days whilst still experiencing the same issue every 5 to 10 minutes while under heavy load, then out of no where the problem seemed to correct itself out of no where. I haven't experienced the issue for a little over a week now, maybe 9 days at most and then during a game of Battlefield 4 it happens again at roughly 5:45pm. I restarted the system by holding the power button and continued to benchmark my card trying to reproduce the 95c temperatures and see if that was the issue, however I only managed to hit my normal 70c.

I've looked through my system logs and found that I have Bugcheck Error 278 (0x00000116) which show the video driver failing.

Can anyone give me any advice here, am I right in that it's the video driver failing or is there anything else I can do to look into a software issue before I resort to blaming faulty hardware as the card is now two and a half years old.

2. 2014/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS :)

The error code is related to the graphics driver. I suggest you go to ....

NVIDIA Driver Downloads

and select option 2 .

With temperatures that high you should check that the graphics card fans are running - you have a cooling issue as well.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/30
    SwiiftYz

SwiiftYz Inactive Thread Starter

I'm installing the latest drivers as we speak, they were only released yesterday and that's using Option 2.

As for the temperatures, I've monitored the speeds using a custom fan curve and haven't been able to see any abnormality. I did notice at one point It wasn't going above 44% but then after editing the curve It seemed to fix the issue.