1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Change audio file associations in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by loninappleton, 2014/07/04.

1. 2014/07/04
    loninappleton

loninappleton Inactive Thread Starter

Still setting up Windows 7. I've seen others ask how to handle changing file associations which is not on the tab for Folder Options where it is normally found.

How can I proceed to have the rmu file (normaly handled by Winamp on my system associated with Winamp on Win 7?

2. 2014/07/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Type File Associations' in the Search Box and check out the first 2 hits listed. I assume this is what you are after?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

Yes I found the area to change file associations with your help. The icon looks to be changed to the desired player but is not displaying Winamp as Windows XP normally would.

I'm using Win 7 x64. Perhaps there is a special version.

Does this have to be done in elevated administering mode or something I missed?

I will look at Winamp versions again.

5. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

XP and 7 are completely different OS's -what is the difference, not that I have ever used Winamp.
    Doubt it - are your tracks opening in Winamp by default now?

6. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

some progress

I have made some progress on this but still in the dark as to how to change
    the file association.

file associations are found in Win 7 at

Start > Control Panel > Indexing Options. {In Win XP it was called Folder Options.)

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on File Types tab at top.

I got through this much. But at this screen you can add a file type (down at the bottom) but there is no obvious way to change the file type association where listed.

I added the m3u file type needed to play a news stream.

But then when looking to change it from the system icon (something meaningless to me) I saw no way to open and select change then browse to Winamp program folder to set up the .exe.

Some additional news for anyone following this: If you have a physical file on the machine such as mp3, you can start > search for it, right click on it and set a default program to open it.

In my situation the m3u opens at a news stream at a radio station website (KPFA, Pacifica radio network.)

All this is no hassle in Win XP but I'm lost at how to get this file association set up with no physical download/filetype (m3u) on the computer.

In sum how do I _change_ a file type association to the desired program
    anywhere on that advanced option- file types box?

7. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

8. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

This helps some: that Icon which I could not identify was for Windows Media Player which I make every effort to remove.

The link given seems confusing to me; seems to say the correction is made in Winamp of some version. But certainly Windows 7 should have the ability
    to change a file type in that section. Previously I ran VLC and let it be the
    default for everything just to _get rid of_ the intrusive WMP icons attached to everything.

My point is there is no change option in the file types window anywhere where there had been in XP. This is just stupefying. And having to ask for help on all these niggling things is frustrating. It's like Microsoft did the equivalent of taking the money from one pocket and put it in another and dropped half the coins. That loose change is what I have to continually look for.

I will go see if I can understand that Winamp business again.

9. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

Well all that says is how to restore all the WMP defaults. I do not want to do that.

10. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have you tried turning off Windows Media Player?

Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off (Left hand column in main window) .....

Attached Files:

11. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

There is - highlight the extension and click on Change Program

Attached Files:

12. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

I will try the latest suggestions and report back. Thanks for your patience.

13. 2014/07/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/07/06
  14. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

I double checked this (though it is yet another new way easy to forget) from the last discussion and yes, all three media tabs have been turned off. If there are other things in that group to fix I do not know them.

That other suggestion in the jpg I could not read well-- can you give the path?

15. 2014/07/06
    loninappleton

I also reviewed this and was able to make it out in another window. Yes it had been changed but no the Winamp player does not open.

What I see exactly is a Firefox window, black with a tiny VLC icon in the middle of the page. I may just have to live with that since I think I'm making this too long on the answerers. You have tried but I am stumped.

Just to note: when clicking on the Winamp.exe icon the program opens fine. It's this file association to 'open with' that is the problem. I cannot mark it resolved. But I don't know how to retrace how it works in XP or if there even is a comparison. I'm trying to give all the troubleshooting info I can. These are all minor preferences which I got comfortable with. I may just have to move on.

thanks again

16. 2014/07/06
    retiredlearner

If you click on Advanced Indexing Help (lower left) you will find FAQ's and further instructions on what you need to do to Add a File Association. Neil.

17. 2014/07/07
    loninappleton

Ok I will look at that. Also I had another idea which I'm pursuing.

My news stream displays as an m3u file (got the acronym wrong above. That is a playlist file and is actually an mp3. Why this combination of factors is at play for a news stream I don't know.

will report back.

I will make a fresh post on yet another thing I cannot find in Win 7 which is
    where to make an original shortcut .lnk file. This is also used to make a path to an audio stream. In XP it's a form where a program can be initialized and a website added to autoload from the desktop.

18. 2014/07/07
    retiredlearner

When I followed the info Pete Posted with my W7 Pro HDD, all the File Associations were listed and all were checked including the m3u you were concerned about. Neil.

19. 2014/07/07
    loninappleton

Could be some Firefox problem with it's extensions turning things on and off.
    I am running ad aware, No Script and so on. We know that Winamp has it's file association and that the player loads in the OS.

But I have never seen Winamp load it's player when selecting that audio stream in Win 7. Again, the player loads as it is supposed to in XP. I cannot explain it to better effect.

20. 2014/08/16
    loninappleton

This thread is being closed out as resolved even though I did not find a Win 7 fix for it in the OS (and will not pursue it further.)

I reinstalled VLC (Video Lan) player from scratch and let it be the default player-- which it assumes for everything. Then, if needed, I go back to Folders > View > and edit the l the selected file association manually.