1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved "Win Explorer has stopped working" notification

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JGB, 2014/06/19.

1. 2014/06/19
    JGB

JGB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This am when I cold booted (as usual) Win 7 came up and about 5 seconds later the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working, searching for a solution" It then cycled through the progress bar for over a minute. When I cancelled out, it restarted Explorer, and it came back up OK.

I restarted the PC, and the same thing happened.

It seems to be operating OK, but I am only a few minutes uptime so far.

Any ideas????

JGB,
  2. 2014/06/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

JGB likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/06/19
    JGB

PeteC
    Well that gave me some guidance, thanks.
    Thinking that it might be a virus, I ran my AVAST deep scan. It found bunches of infected files residing in the Recycle bin on an old HD that is connected, but rarely used. It contained a pile of archive files from my old PC, before that HD crashed, and I replaced it with an SSD as C:

Clearing the recycle bin of 14,000 dead files, seemed to work (so far), as a reboot did not tell me Explorer stopped working.

What puzzles me is; IF the recycle bin is supposedly non-active, how could a file in it cause a problem?

JGB,
  5. 2014/06/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would not be sure that the Recycle Bin is non-active. My reading would be that the files have been transferred to a virtual folder - they still exist in the system and in the NTFS file system. Only when the recycle bin is emptied is the space occupied by the files marked as available for overwriting.

In view of the infected files found by Avast I would strongly suggest that you have the PC checked out in the Malware & Virus Removal forum.

Please read the announcement highlighted in red at the top of the forum and post the logs requested.

6. 2014/07/14
    JGB

I have only had this "stoppage" happen once since last post, with immediate recovery and no after effects noticed.

Consider this post closed.

JGB,