Windows, Operating System, Security, Networking, Malware, Support, Forum, Help Site Check Our Facebook Page!
Notices
Windows 7 Post your Windows 7 related questions here.

Register your FREE account to unlock additional features at WindowsBBS.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th August 2013   #1
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic
James Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation Level

My System

Computer Refuses To Wake From Sleep

The keyboard and mouse are set to wake the computer from sleep, but I have to do a hard boot to wake the computer up. I am running Windows 7 with SP1. PC BIOS is up to date.

The wake from sleep issue started just a few days ago. Power company installed a new meter this week, and it caused a breaker to trip power to my home office, but I had my Dell hooked up to an APC UPS. However, I wasn't aware of the breaker issue until a few hours later.

I have no problem with hibernation.

EDIT: I just wanted to add some updated information. I can put the PC into forced sleep with no issues (power button turns amber), but I am wondering if my computer is actually going into sleep mode by itself because the power icon is blue which means the computer is awake. The power button is supposed to be amber if the computer is asleep. So maybe my issue is one of a hanging mode preventing the machine to go into timed sleep.

Last edited by James Martin; 17th August 2013 at 04:44.

Register
to remove this ad.

Old 17th August 2013   #2
WindowsBBS Team Member

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced
SpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation Level

My System
Originally Posted by James Martin View Post

The keyboard and mouse are set to wake the computer from sleep, but I have to do a hard boot to wake the computer up.

Before doing a hard boot next time, try unplugging the keyboard, waiting a couple of seconds, plugging it back in, wait another few seconds and then hitting the [Spacebar]. Did it wake up?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 19th August 2013   #3
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic
James Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation LevelJames Martin Reputation Level

My System
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Before doing a hard boot next time, try unplugging the keyboard, waiting a couple of seconds, plugging it back in, wait another few seconds and then hitting the [Spacebar]. Did it wake up?
Unfortunately, no. I tried your suggestion on the USB mouse, too, but it did not help.

After some trial and error, I think the issue may be tied to two different Kingston USB drives (1gb & 2gb). Kingston recommends that USB thumb drives be removed from the computer when not in use, although I kept both of them, plus another brand of USB drive (Centon) plugged into my XP machine at all times with little or no issues to speak of.

Currently, I have the Centon plugged in at all times on my W7 machine, and it has not caused any hanging sleep issues. Could Kingston be wrong about their comments?

Old 19th August 2013   #4
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
working backwards
mattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Levelmattman Reputation Level

Just a "theory". The antivirus may be accessing the drives, but not necessarily scanning them.

Could any of the files on the drives be open when it goes into sleep mode?

Old 19th August 2013   #5
WindowsBBS Team Member

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced
SpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation LevelSpywareDr Reputation Level

My System
Originally Posted by James Martin View Post

Kingston recommends that USB thumb drives be removed from the computer when not in use, although I kept both of them, plus another brand of USB drive (Centon) plugged into my XP machine at all times with little or no issues to speak of.

Windows 7 and XP are two different animals.

Unplug the Kingston flash drives, put the computer to sleep and then see if it'll wake up.

Old 20th August 2013   #6
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Just a "theory". The antivirus may be accessing the drives, but not necessarily scanning them.
Should I disable Avast and see what happens?

Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Could any of the files on the drives be open when it goes into sleep mode?
No, I make sure to close any open USB files when I am through with them.

Old 20th August 2013   #7
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
Windows 7 and XP are two different animals.
Meaning? (concerning USB drives)

Unplug the Kingston flash drives, put the computer to sleep and then see if it'll wake up.
For what it's worth, I can *force* the computer into sleep and wake it up with all three (Centon, Kingston & Kingston) USB drives plugged in. It's when the computer goes into timed sleep that problems occur with waking it up. According to the color of the power button (blue), I don't think the PC is going into timed sleep. The power button should be amber colored when the machine is asleep but it isn't

I followed your suggestion and removed the Kingston drives, and the PC goes into timed sleep (power button is amber colored), and it wakes up with the click of a mouse or by pressing a button on the keyboard. I even left the older Centon USB drive plugged in too. Later on, I plugged in an extra USB drive (PNY brand), and things are working as they should.

I don't know why the Kingston drives would cause any timed sleep problems. These two USB drives are the newer of the bunch.

Old 22nd August 2013   #8
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
Yesterday, I plugged in a new PNY 16gb USB flash drive along with the other PNY and Centon drives. So far, the computer is not hanging when it goes into timed sleep mode. I assume the chip in the Kingston drives are not jiving with W7 for some reason, although at one time they caused no timed sleep problems.

Weird.

Old 23rd August 2013   #9
WindowsBBS Team Member

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate
retiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Levelretiredlearner Reputation Level

My System
Are the USB drives V2.0 or V3.0? Just a thought. Neil.

Old 23rd August 2013   #10
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
Originally Posted by retiredlearner View Post
Are the USB drives V2.0 or V3.0? Just a thought. Neil.

I don't think Windows 7 supports USB 3.0, but I could be wrong.

Old 23rd August 2013   #11
WindowsBBS Team Member

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced

My System
USB 3.0 works great on my Windows 7 systems. Almost 6 times as fast as USB 2.0.

Old 23rd August 2013   #12
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
USB 3.0 works great on my Windows 7 systems. Almost 6 times as fast as USB 2.0.
Did you have to install any 3rd party USB drivers?

Old 24th August 2013   #13
WindowsBBS Team Member

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced

My System
Not to my knowledge. Windows handled it.

(USB 3.0 175 MB/s compared to USB 2.0 31 MB/s)

Old 25th August 2013   #14
SuperGeek

Profile:
Computer Experience:
e-Machine mechanic

My System
I going to mark this thread as resolved. I think the timed sleep issue is with the Kingston drive(s) chips.

THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.

Are you having the same problem? Please post a new thread, but first you'll have to join us by Registering (FREE).

Discussion Forums
Operating Systems
Windows 8 Windows 8
Windows 7 Windows 7
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Server System Windows Server System
Legacy Windows OS Legacy Windows OS
Internet & Networking
Networking (Hardware & Software) Networking
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer
Microsoft Mail Microsoft Mail