1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

windows 7 boots to black screen with white cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oj0sverdes, 2013/05/27.

1. 2013/05/27
    oj0sverdes

oj0sverdes Inactive Thread Starter

i have a toshiba satelite laptop that when turned on boots to a black screen with a white cursor that i can move around with no problem, but thats about it. when it first starts you get the toshiba page, followed by the windows logo, then the black screen.....unfortunately when i purchased the laptop it didnt come with an installation nor a recovery disk.....these are the things that ive tried so far;

turned the laptop on and while booting i've repeatedly hit f8, which brings me to page with a few options, the first one being repair computer....once i hit that option the computer starts to boot up again and brings me back to the black screen with the white cursor...basically any option i try safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. etc. basically starts the reboot process and brings me back to the black screen

once the pc has booted and im staring at the black screen with the white cursor ive tried pressing ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager to no avail.....

basically all the computer is capable of doing right now is booting to that darn black screen with the white cursor....any help would greatly be appreciated...

2. 2013/05/27
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit and save it to a flash drive.
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

[color= "#0000FF"]To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:[/color]
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.

[color= "#0000FF"]To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:[/color]
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

[color= "#008000"]On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:[/color]

• Startup Repair
      System Restore
      Windows Complete PC Restore
      Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
      Command Prompt
    • Select Command Prompt
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color]:\frst (for x64 bit version type [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color]:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color] with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

oj0sverdes likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/05/27
    oj0sverdes

ok as per your instructions i downloaded Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit (my laptop is running 64 bit) and copied it onto my flashdrive, i plugged the flashdrive into the laptop and restarted it, as soon as the BIOS loaded i repeatedly tapped on f8 until the advanced boot options appeared...i selected repair your computer....upon doing so "loading windows files" appears at the bottom of the screen, followed by the windows logo(for like a quick second) the im back to a black screen with the white cursor.. :(

5. 2013/05/27
    broni

oj0sverdes likes this.
  6. 2013/05/27
    oj0sverdes

tried the second method as per the directions using the windows installation disc that i created, made sure laptop boots from cd.....this time it did something different(thought i had made progress) after i got the indication to press any key to boot from cd, got windows is loading files at the bottom of the screen, starting windows with the logo above the words was displayed(hadnt done that before) only to go back to the black screen with the white cursor....you made a reference before to "infected pc" is it a virus causing this?

7. 2013/05/27
    broni

At this point I suspect some hardware issue so let's hope someone else will chime in as I'm not a hardware guy.

oj0sverdes likes this.
  8. 2013/05/27
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

oj0sverdes likes this.
  9. 2013/05/28
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

10. 2013/05/28
    oj0sverdes

ok,,,,to do a hard drive diagnostic or do a ram test dont i have to be able to log in to my computer to run the programs.....which is part of the problem....computer wont do anything but the black screen, cant login using safe mode, wont run any of the recovery options....

11. 2013/05/28
    SpywareDr

The computer does not need to be able to run Windows to run most hard drive and memory diagnostics. The CD disc or USB flash drive that you create will be self-booting.

Last edited: 2013/05/29
    oj0sverdes likes this.
  12. 2013/05/28
    oj0sverdes

tried running a hard drive diagnostic using the diagnostic tool for a toshiba hard drive as well as performing a ram test using memtest86+ but my laptop will not boot to either ...tried using a disc and usb....the only thing that has remained constant is the black screen with the white cursor after loading windows files appears at the bottom of the screen

13. 2013/05/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

If you go into your computers BIOS is the hard drive shown as being recognized?

oj0sverdes likes this.
  14. 2013/05/28
    oj0sverdes

if im looking at it right yes....after turning the laptop on i hit f2, under the main tab it shows:
    cpu type: amd e-240 processor
    cpu speed: 1.50 ghz
    hdd/ssd: toshiba mk2565gsxn(s1)

although im really starting to wonder if its really the hard drive going flaky...now within the last hour every time i try to power up the laptop im getting:
    " check cable connection!
    pxe-mof:existing intel pxe rom.
    No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key "

this was not my initial issue, the black screen with the cursor was

15. 2013/05/29
    SpywareDr

Yep, it definitely sounds like the hard drive is failing (has failed).

That "pxe" means the computer was trying to boot from the network. This happens when the computer cannot find anything locally attached to the computer that has a bootable operating system on it.

When the hard drive and/or operating system is so damaged that the computer can't boot from it, it will try to boot from the network next. And when that also fails, it has no choice but to display an error message and stop. :(

Solution: Replace the hard drive.

oj0sverdes likes this.
  16. 2013/05/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Check your BIOS again and make sure your hard drive is 2nd in the Boot Order. Have your CD/DVD listed 1st.

Then again try booting with the Toshiba Diagnostic Tools.

oj0sverdes likes this.
  17. 2013/05/29
    oj0sverdes

ok if i replace the hard drive will i need to get(buy)a whole new windows os or can i transfer it over from the old hard drive.....dont care much about the files on the old hard drive but buying a new o/s would **** and probably cheaper buying a whole new laptop

18. 2013/05/29
    SpywareDr

You can download the ISO file for the version of Windows 7 you own:The above links point to Digital River, a licensed distributor of Microsoft software. These downloads are each over 3GB, and your current Product Key will only work with your edition of Windows, so make sure to select the right one. (Typically your Windows Product Key is a 25-character alphanumeric string that is printed on a sticker affixed to your PC or on documentation included with your PC. You must have it to reinstall Windows).

Also download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to help you burn your Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive. Whether you choose DVD or USB makes no difference; just confirm that your PC can boot to the media type you select.

Once that's done, boot your computer using your new Windows 7 DVD or USB flash drive and follow the prompts to install Windows 7.