1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

A Simple Question About Transitioning

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IDLERACER, 2013/02/19.

1. 2013/02/19
    IDLERACER

IDLERACER Inactive Thread Starter

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Windows XP section or here. My old computer is dying. I downloaded everything of any worth on it on to an external hard drive. I just purchased a new computer and will be making a transition from XP to Windows 7.

My question is, would it be better to get the two anti-virus softwares that I use (Avast and Malwarebytes) from off of the external hard drive, or re-download them from off of the web? In the case of Avast, if the answer is the former, what do I click on to re-activate it (it appears that there are more than one .exe files) and if the answer is the latter, then will I have to open a whole new account with Avast, or be able to somehow retain the old one?

My old computer was an E-Machine T4010 desk top and my new one is Dell Inspiron io2020-3833BK All-In-One.

Thank you very much in advance, and I would be grateful for any other advice you might feel would be helpful in making the transition from XP to 7. My modem is still the same Westell VersaLink Model 327W that I've had for years, and will be attached to the computer via an ethernet cable (not wireless).

P.S. I deliberately purchased one of the last new computers equipped with 7. I checked out 8 in the stores, and the whole touch-screen thing simply isn't for me. Too confusing. I'm hoping that in a few years, when it's time to get yet another computer, there will still be some mouse-operated ones available.

2. 2013/02/19
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Avast and MalwareBytes are 2 different programs and do 2 different things. Download them FRESH. If you contact them, tell them what you are doing, you can get a key for it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/19
    IDLERACER

Thank you for the advice. I will head straight for Avast's website right now.

5. 2013/02/19
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you have the FREE MBAM? That is probably what the majority of people use. Most people also use the FREE version of Avast.

6. 2013/02/19
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

From the MalwareBytes people themselves on their official forum:

Avast is a general-purpose, all-in-one anti-vrius program with some anti-spyware and anti-rootkit capabilities. It deals with and can detect hundreds of thousands of threats...some of which haven't been seen around much since the early 90's.

Avast and Malwarebytes is a good combination (I use that exact combination myself on all of my machines), but you must completely uninstall old expired Norton or serious conflicts may occur. One only Antivirus is correct and recommended.

Avast is used to pick up specific types of adware and spyware. Such as Trojans or rootkits.
    Malwarebytes is used for detecting malware. Such as keyloggers, worms, and rogue registry entries.

I have only recently updated to a new laptop with Windows 7 from my old Laptop with Windows XP. I customized the new computer with entirely new downloads and installations online and I recommend you do this as it worked just fine. Both are free.

kind regards,

7. 2013/02/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Before you do anything, please tell us what exactly that you copied to the external drive. For example, you cannot copy anything from the Program Files directory and use on a new computer. You will have to install all of the software newly.

8. 2013/02/20
    IDLERACER

Thank you for that information (I did load up a bunch of program files from that directory). Other than that, mainly the usual "sight and sound" files from the music and documents section: Mp3, Wav, Midi, Gif, Jpg, Txt, Bmp, HTML documents, Pdf, Mov, and a few that I'm sure I'm going to have to purchase newer updated software to view such as CWP, WRK and SCW.

The ones I'm most curious about are Bmps. Does Windows 7 even have anything that is the equivalent of "Paint "?

9. 2013/02/20
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

A simple google found this,

regards,

10. 2013/02/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Yes, Windows 7 & Windows 8 both still have Microsoft Paint.
    You may wish to copy some other files from your user directory:
    Favorites folder, Profiles for Thunderbird or Firefox

If use Firefox or Google Chrome, and also IE, you can export the Favorites/Bookmarks as an html or htm file and later import into the new installation.

If use Outlook Express, copy this folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{12345678-1234-ABCD-EFGH-1234567890AB}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

11. 2013/02/20
    IDLERACER

Thank you! That was going to be my next question! I'm glad I can import bookmarks (of which I have many). Well, here goes. I'm now going to unplug the friend's computer I'm borrowing, and plug in the new one. Wish me luck.

12. 2013/02/21
    IDLERACER

Well, it looks like downloading stuff off my hard drive on to the new computer will be no problem, but connecting to the internet will be. A technician from Dell will be paying me a visit sometime within the next three business days. :( Sometimes, life just throws lemons at you.

13. 2013/02/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Turn OFF the new comp.
    Unplug the Westel modem, wait 10 seconds.
    Plug in the Westel, wait until it syncs (Internet light stays lit).
    Connect comp to modem.
    Turn ON comp.

If no joy, verify via Device Manager that the drivers for the ethernet adapters are installed (no yellow exclamation points).

14. 2013/02/21
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

I read you are still using your Westell VersaLink Model 327W which of course has to be configured for your new computer. Having only recently purchased my new Laptop my ISP set up mine over the phone which took no time at all. There are many ways to do this shown here. You do not say which is your ISP/provider so we cannot help you configure your modem. Why not phone them up so they can assist you. I am guessing that is why Dell will be visiting within 3 business days.

regards,

15. 2013/03/12
    IDLERACER

Two Dell repairmen paid a visit to my apartment over the course of the week, replaced the motherboard of the computer twice, but still could not get the ethernet socket to light up. I sent it back to Amazon, and traded it for an Asus ET2012. Once again, the same problem. :mad: It could very well be the Modem, but I'd just like to point out that the computer I'm typing on right now is also equipped with Windows 7 (It's a Dell Inspiron laptop) and works fine with it. I'll be giving Verizon a call tomorrow.