1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Dissable auto copy (when copying/pasting files)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRAHAM WESTON, 2013/02/19.

1. 2013/02/19
    GRAHAM WESTON

GRAHAM WESTON Well-Known Member Thread Starter

when I have a folder full of photos, and i wish to select a few of them to copy to another folder, I hold down the CTRL key and click on the photos i wish to copy, so i can copy multiple photos at one time. The problem i am having is that as i am doing this, copies of the photos start to appear in the folder i am working in. Can i turn off this auto copy function, as it is realy so annoying. I end up with 2 or 3 copies of each photo in the source folder, and i don't want this. Many thanks.

2. 2013/02/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Pretty much everyone has been here... When you're marking the files, if you move the mouse down one little fraction of a fraction - you make the copies you don't want. You just have to be careful.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/19
    GRAHAM WESTON

So i've noticed Steve. Is there any way to disable this, as while your clicking on photos in the source folder, copies are also appearing in the source folder. It's just a pain in the butt.

5. 2013/02/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

There's no way to disable that I know of... Could flip a coin and see if coping one at a time would be easier:eek:

6. 2013/02/19
    GRAHAM WESTON

No problems Steve, looks like i'll just have to put up with it. Does Windows 7 and 8 have this same problem. I take a lot of photos of remote radio communications sites that i work at, then i have to take a selection of these for the reports on these sites. Selecting and coping 1 pix at a time is a pain. But if there is no way of stopping this auto copy, well i'll just have to do it the slow way. Many thanks for your input.

Cheers.

7. 2013/02/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I always select the items to be copied > then use Control+C or rt click Copy > then Control+v or rt click Paste.

8. 2013/02/19
    GRAHAM WESTON

Tony, i'm just trying to save a lot of time selecting multiple photos at one time to copy and paste, but windows just wants to put multiple copies in my source folder at the same time. sounds like i'll just have to do 1 at a time. would be nice if there was some way to disable this feature.

9. 2013/02/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You can try to set Use check boxes to select items from Folder Options > View

Arie,
    GRAHAM WESTON likes this.
  10. 2013/02/20
    GRAHAM WESTON

Arie, that seems to work well, no additional copies turning up in the source folder. Many thanks gentlemen for all your help.

cheers
    Graham

11. 2013/02/20
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

FWIW - The reason this annoying "duplicate copies everywhere" happens is because if move your mouse more than a mere 4 pixels while clicking down on a file, Windows thinks you're dragging the file and you therefore must want them copied. <Grrrr...>

You can change this "DragHeight" and "DragWidth" default of "4" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" to something a bit higher. You may have to experiment a bit to get it just right, but something between 10 and 20 usually works.

(Click Start, type in regedit and press [Enter]. Browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" and you'll see the "DragHeight" and "DragWidth" in the right panel. Right-click each and select "Modify" to make the changes).

GRAHAM WESTON likes this.
  12. 2013/02/20
    GRAHAM WESTON

thanks Doc, i'll look at those settings. many thanks.

13. 2013/02/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What I do is select one file, then hold the Shift key and select the last file, and all files in between get selected. Then copy+paste or cut+paste.

14. 2013/02/21
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

15. 2013/02/21
    GRAHAM WESTON

Tony,
    I travel around between remote telecommunications sites, taking multiple ( some times up to 200 ) photos of each site. I then have to produce a report on each site, and include a selection of photos from each site. So when i download photos from my digital camera, i could have 7 or 8 hundred photos in the desktop folder. I then have to select the photos i need for the reports. I was having a problem whilst trying to select multiple photos to copy to each new site folder. The work around that Arie suggested did the job, now i don't get multiple copies of the photos appearing in the source folder whilst i'm trying to make selections to copy to a site folder. The Doc also made a suggestion which i'll also look at. Thanks for your input as well.

Cheers
    Graham.