1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lugwalker, 2012/06/04.

1. 2012/06/04
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

My laptop is using Win 7 (64-bit).

I decided recently to schedule a task and went into the Task Scheduler. When it opened the first message which popped up was 'Task Sr: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.'

This is the first time that I've attempted to manually schedule a task, though I see that 42 other active tasks are listed in the scheduler.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue?

Thank you. :)

2. 2012/06/04
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/06/04

First of all I deleted the scheduled task which I had added initially despite getting the message that the Task Image was corrupt when opening the Task Scheduler. I then re-opened the task scheduler but still received the warning message.

I then did the following:

"Expand Task Scheduler Library tree in the left pane, and locate the folder that contains the corrupted task. Make a note of the location of the corrupted task. You will need this information later in this procedure. "

There's a list of 42 tasks there. How am I to know which task is corrupted?

Also, regarding this issue:

"After you upgrade from Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 by using an installation package that includes this security update (KB2305420), you may find that scheduled tasks do not work correctly. For example, you may receive an error message that resembles the following when you open Task Scheduler: This task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. "

This laptop is a relatively new machine which has always had Windows 7 and has not been upgraded from Windows Vista or anything else. So would the instructions apply to my machine?

5. 2012/06/04
    Arie

As I posted:

Arie,
  6. 2012/06/04
    Arie

From the error message you receive?

Usually it is something like:

So in this case the culprit is the ScheduledDefrag task.

Seems in your case it is the SystemRestore task.

Open C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore an delete the SR file.

Arie,
  7. 2012/06/04

So, after deleting and saving a backup of the SR file I'm istructed thus:

Step 3: Clean up the corrupted task. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Delete the task file that corresponds to the corrupted task from the Tasks folder (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\Tasks). Would this be advsrs5?

8. 2012/06/05
    Arie

No, AFAIK there's nothing else related to this task.

Arie,
  9. 2012/06/05

So, just delete the SR file - and that's it? The following seems to indicate that after deleting the SR file you need to go back into the registry to delete the keys relating to the task, then import the deleted (and saved) SR file back into the folder in the Task Scheduler Library Tree. Am I correct?

Step 3: Clean up the corrupted task

To do this, follow these steps:
    Delete the task file that corresponds to the corrupted task from the Tasks folder (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\Tasks).
    Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from the following registry sub-key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree
    Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from the following registry sub-key. The task will be in GUID format. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the registry folder.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks
    Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from one of the following registry three sub-keys. The task will exist in only one of the three locations and will be in GUID format. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the registry folder.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain
    Or:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Logon
    Or:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Boot

Step 4: Re-create the task by using the temporary backed-up copy

To do this, follow these steps: To do this, follow these steps:
    Open Task Scheduler.
    Expand Task Scheduler Library tree in the left pane, and open the folder that previously contained the corrupted task.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the folder.
    Right-click the folder that previously contained the corrupted task, and then click Import Task.
    In the Open dialog box, select All files (*.*). Browse to the temporary folder that contains the backed up task file, and then select the task file. Click Open. The new task is created and is visible in Task Scheduler.

Or, you can use the following command line command to restore the backed-up task:
    Schtasks.exe /CREATE /TN <New_Task_Name> /XML <Xml_File_Name>

10. 2012/06/05
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, if you know what to do, feel free to do so.... I have no other comments then the ones I made.