1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Utility/way to lock window so can't be resized/moved

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mikenowo, 2011/11/20.

1. 2011/11/20
    mikenowo

mikenowo Inactive Thread Starter

Is there a utility or other way to LOCK a given window so that it cannot be resized or moved?

I tried 'WindowManager' utility but can't seem to get it to work.

Anything else I can try?

2. 2011/11/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Please fill out your system infor. Go to User CP near the top left of this page and don't forget to SAVE when you are done. Helps up help you. Different flavors of Windows sometimes require different things. What works on one OS, may not work on another.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/11/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2011/11/20
    mikenowo

Well, I work on more than one system and this is a "Windows7" question not related to hardware so I can't really fill out 'one' specific setup. I'm looking for a general way to lock windows in windows 7.

6. 2011/11/20
    mikenowo

Hmm don't think this will help, says in the description "This is an app to make Windows 7 explorer folder windows remember their size and position ... It does NOT manage window size/positions of regular applications, ... "

:-/

7. 2011/11/21
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I have never heard of software that let you do this, and Windows doesn't cater for this either AFAIK.

Arie,
  8. 2011/11/21
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Same here, but if mikenowo can enlighten us to why he wants it - maybe.

9. 2011/11/21
    mikenowo

The reason I want to do that is so that I don't accidentally re-size or move a specific window while doing other things on my desktop. As an example there is a game I play in windowed mode that tends to pop the cursor to the side while playing and in the thick of things I end up resizing the window instead of moving the in-game camera by mistake since the cursor is no longer where it initially was. I read that this utility 'WindowManager' can 'lock' a window into place once it is opened or at least move/size it back to it's original form if you try to move or re-size, yet I cannot get it to recognize any open windows as it should when it's running. I set windowmanager to look for a specific name in the window title but when I resize or move the window it doesn't revert back to the original place/size as it's supposed to.

I used to code this functionality in VB and C++ all the time in programs I wrote so it seems strange to me that windows doesn't have an option to lock windows once they are open.

In any event, I was wondering if there are other utilities I might try that may be able to do this, or if someone has used 'WindowManager' and gotten it to work.

10. 2011/11/21
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Windows Manager does not lock your windows, it remembers previous settings, from your link...

As a C++ programmer I'm sure you can come up with a solution for your particular needs though.

11. 2011/11/21
    mikenowo

As I said I had read that it could lock a window as well just not on their site, in a writeup somewhere, although I don't see the functionality for that in their docs. But regardless, there are options to 'Move to' and 'Size to' that can be checked, yet when I move the given window with those options chosen the windows doesn't revert. I'm not sure how the utility is supposed to work since the window can still be moved and re-sized and stays that way, does not move back or re-ize back to original settings in the utility. I've sent them an email to see if I'm still missing something in the setup, will see what they say.

12. 2011/11/21
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

You're missing a lot Mike ;)

Main thing is that the application in no way offers what you want.

Anyway besides what you want why don't you just tell us why you want it? There may be other solutions.

13. 2011/11/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Post #8