1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Problems in upgrade from XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Geoff Hands, 2011/09/09.

1. 2011/09/09
    Geoff Hands Lifetime Subscription

Geoff Hands Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I understand that I have to choose the Custom Install option ; when I do that, I am offered three partitions ( to choose) where I want to install. Whichever one I choose, I am told that I can't install there, because the partition is wrongly formatted. When I look how to re-format, I am told to insert my original disc ( I assume means the one where XP was installed) which I don't have because the machine came pre-installed, without discs.
    Any suggestions as to what I should do - and which partition to try and reformat ?

2. 2011/09/09
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Is XP still installed on the C: partition? What size are your partitions? I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my 40GB C: partition that formally had XP installed.

If XP is still installed back up any data on the C: drive then convert it to NTFS.

Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/09/11

XP is still installed. The three partitions are Acer (C:) , Acerdata (D: ) , and PQService

So I went into Command Prompt and entered <convert C:/fs:ntfs> and got “ The type of the file system is FAT32 Enter current volume label for drive C: "

I entered < Acer (C:) > and got “An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive. "

I went into Device Manager and noted that Disk Drives are listed as ST9120821AS and entered that and got “An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive”

Where do I go from here, please ?

5. 2011/09/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

When asked for drive volume label do not enter the drive letter...

ie you should have entered Acer not [noparse]Acer (C:)[/noparse]

Last edited: 2011/09/11
  6. 2011/09/11

Now I get the message :-
    "Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.ALL HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.Would you like to force a dismount on this volume ? (Y/N)!

(The upper case was in the displayed message).

I supposed that my earlier attempts must have been still running - so abandoned that and did a reboot, then tried again . Got the same message .
    Where do I go from here , please ?

7. 2011/09/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Force the dismount (press Y). Geoff read How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP it will save us all a lot of time.

Negative, the drive was in use because it's your system drive. ;)

Frome the above link...

Last edited: 2011/09/11
  8. 2011/09/11

Npw sorted ; thanks for the assistance.