Windows, Operating System, Security, Networking, Malware, Support, Forum, Help Site Check Our Facebook Page!
Notices
Windows 7 Post your Windows 7 related questions here.

Register your FREE account to unlock additional features at WindowsBBS.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th August 2011   #1
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!
Christer Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation Level

My System

KB976902 replaced by KB2533552 ?

I was weeding out updates to Windows 7, replaced by SP1. I came across KB976902 which according to my notes was/is a prerequisite for SP1. It was installed on my system on 2011 February 09. SP1 was installed on my system on 2011 March 03.

On 2011 May 12, KB2533552 was installed on my system. While weeding out, I clicked the link to the KB-articles and recognized this one. I found out that the link to KB976902

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=976902

was being redirected to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552

It is stated that "This update does not replace a previously released update." but it seems to me that KB2533552 replaces KB976902 which is not available at Microsoft Download.

Finally, the question: Assuming that I can delete KB976902 from my library of updates, is KB2533552 still a prerequisite for SP1?

Register
to remove this ad.

Old 25th August 2011   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Arie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation Level

My System
KB976902 is there and says:

Quote:
Note This update is replaced by the update that is described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2533552 An update that prevents a "0xC0000034" error message when you try to install Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is available
I never delete any updates. If they need to be removed, it'll happen with the next SP I suppose. I see no point trying to break my working system.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 25th August 2011   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Arie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation Level

My System
Also, originally this patch could not be uninstalled, since it's a Servicing Stack Update. I'm guessing you won't be able to uninstall it from your system (I haven't tried).

Old 25th August 2011   #4
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!
Christer Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation LevelChrister Reputation Level

My System
Thanks Arie but I think you misunderstood due to me being unclear. I have not uninstalled any updates, only removed them from my library (for future off-line installations) of downloaded updates. I know that it cannot be unistalled and neither can KB2533552.

I get redirected from "your" link as well. Maybe because my computer speaks Swedish?

No matter what, I now know that my assumption was correct, KB976902 is replaced by KB2533552 but is it still a prerequisite for SP1?

Old 25th August 2011   #5
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Usually not enough
PeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation Level

My System

Old 25th August 2011   #6
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!

My System

Old 25th August 2011   #7
Administrator

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Admin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation Level

My System
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
No matter what, I now know that my assumption was correct, KB976902 is replaced by KB2533552 but is it still a prerequisite for SP1?
It can't be a prerequisite if it has been replaced...

Old 25th August 2011   #8
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!

My System
Sorry for, once again, being unclear. What I meant was if KB2533552 has replaced KB976902, also as a prerequisite for SP1?

Old 25th August 2011   #9
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!

My System
I now notice that the Swedish translation of the KB2533552-article has missed

Quote:
Note This article replaces Knowledge Base article 976902.

Old 27th August 2011   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Profile:
Computer Experience:

My System
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
What I meant was if KB2533552 has replaced KB976902, also as a prerequisite for SP1?
This is what I found on Microsoft's site: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center

Quote:
Step 3: Check Windows Update to see if you are offered the option to Install Windows Update KB2454826, KB2534366, or KB2533552

Run Windows Update and if you are offered the option to install update KB2454826, KB2534366, or KB2533552 install them. If you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center and do not install these updates, you could encounter a Stop error in Windows in rare cases.
So it looks like the answer is yes

Old 27th August 2011   #11
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
I'm trying!

My System
I too have come to the conclusion that KB2533552 is a prerequisite for SP1.

Thanks for the link, I will read the document thoroughly and check the other two updates when I get back from a short trip to Germany.

I will mark the thread as resolved.

Having problems with your computer? Does it crash or freeze? Is your pc slow? Our technicians can identify any issues and fix your PC quickly and reliably.

THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.

Are you having the same problem? Please post a new thread, but first you'll have to join us by Registering (FREE).

Discussion Forums
Operating Systems
Windows 10 Windows 10
Windows 8 Windows 8
Windows 7 Windows 7
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Server System Windows Server System
Legacy Windows OS Legacy Windows OS
Internet & Networking
Networking (Hardware & Software) Networking
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer