1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Possibly turn off Windows password login before upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JAK, 2016/04/30.

1. 2016/04/30
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

From the hassle I had helping a friend get back access to his Win 7 computer that he had upgraded to 10, I would suggest turning off your password login to Win 7 or 8 before you do an upgrade to 10.

For whatever reason, after the upgrade my friend's valid password no longer logged him into Win 10. And from the multitude of comments online it is pretty common. And for an intermediate like me it took hours to get into the Bios and change the boot order and then to get his computer to actually boot using the flash drive with the iso of Offline NT Password & Registry Editor on it.

Read my Win 10 post "Cannot sign in, does not recognize old password" for some more info, if needed.

JAK,
  2. 2016/05/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

In the big picture, this really has affected only a tiny few of upgraders. But of course, it is a really big problem for those users so the problem has made a lot of noise and gotten a lot of attention.

Changing to a local account may be a good prevention step. But of course, having a current backup before making any major changes is always advisable.

I do recommend everyone make the move to W10 however. W7 is already pushing 7 years old. That's almost forever in the IT industry. W10 is fast and more secure (reason enough to migrate). And if the complain is the new UI, there are easy ways to make W10 look and feel like W7. I use Start10 but ClassicShell is another favorite.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/01
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, I have told quite a few people who have had W8 and 10 about Classic Shell and they love it.
    My son said he thinks a clean install of W10 seems to go better, with less problems, than upgrading and trying to keep data.

Last edited: 2016/05/01
    JAK,
  5. 2016/05/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It should be noted that 100s of millions of W7 and W8 users have "upgraded" to W10 with no problems at all. Of course if just 1% of 100 million do have problems, that's still a million upset users. And a million upset users can make a lot of noise! This noise is often amplified by wannabe journalists and unprofessional bloggers seeking sensationalized headlines blowing everything out of proportions too. :mad::(:mad:

I have upgraded a couple dozens W7 and W8 systems with no problems. I just made sure these systems and drivers were fully updated and working properly first. And that they were free from malware. Attempting to upgrade the OS on a system that is not working properly, or infected is inviting trouble.

I have noticed that upgrading from W8 to W10 seems to go smoother. Upgrading from older W7 systems is where the most problems happened.

It is important to remember that it is the hardware makers' responsibility to ensure W10 drivers are available, not Microsoft's. And it is the user's responsibility to ensure their systems are fully updated and working properly first too.

That does not guarantee a successful upgrade, but does minimize the chance for problems.

Yes, a fresh install typically goes more smoothly (at least on newer hardware). But a fresh install also wipes out all your data and installed 3rd party programs too. So installing from scratch is much more labor intensive.

Bill,