1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Phantom Drive in File Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PeteC, 2015/11/29.

1. 2015/11/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

This may or may not be a Windows 10 specific issue, but the OS is Win 10 ......

A few days ago I noticed a phantom drive in File Explorer - Local Drive S. It has zero properties, cannot be accessed and does not appear in Disk Management - see screenshots below.

I would like rid of it :)

As it is referred to as a Local Disk removing all the USB Controllers, etc would not seem to be appropriate.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. 2015/11/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Pete, Have you shut down and removed/disconnected all external devices - then boot up to see if it's gone? I've seen my cellphone recorded as a disc and allocated an alpha and it lingers until I remove the connecting cable and do a restart. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

Neil - thanks for your response :)

I have no external storage devices permanently plugged in to the PC - my external hard drives, thumb drives or a card reader are plugged in as required and disconnected via Safely Remove. The exception is my TomTom Satnav which is not recognised as a drive in File Explorer or elsewhere - this is apparently correct - as is just pulled out.

However - I may have found the solution via roundabout route. I have not yet received the November update on this PC (both laptops have received it) and am checking Settings > Updates regularly. Today I noticed under Advanced Options "Some settings are managed by your organization " - no way I am the organisation :) Googling for the issue pulled up the following gem -
    I had Basic set (on the basis of tell MS as little as possible), changed it to Enhanced and the message disappeared. Incidentally I had changed this setting a few days ago to Basic.

After a shut down the phantom drive has also disappeared - go figure!

I'll make another shut down and edit this post as appropriate.

EDIT - Following a cold boot the phantom drive has NOT reappeared - fingers crossed!

5. 2015/11/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

We learn something new about W10 every day, although the little quirks that show up seem to be selective. I can only feel thankful that I haven't experienced any untoward hassles with W10 Insider, Home and Pro in 5 units. (touch wood).
    Nice to know you got it sorted. ;) Neil.