1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problems with Edge

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SVEN, 2015/10/11.

1. 2015/10/11
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all.
    I have a few problems with Edge.
    On my desk top edge will not display any .pdf files. I get a "oops, something prevented edge from displaying this file" or some such thing.
    I then switch to IE11 and all is fine. Adobe reader is installed.

On my laptop, edge will not download anything. I did the edge reset,
    http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/22648-reinstalling-microsoft-edge.html
    Still got the same problem.
    Any idea on how to fix this?
    Thanks
    Sven

SVEN,
  2. 2015/10/12
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/12
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It is not a "problem" with Edge. The problem is Edge. Microsoft was in such a hurry to put out a new browser with Windows 10 that they put it out even though it is sadly incomplete in features (including plug-in support for such things as viewing pdf files). :mad:

And they knew this or they would not have included the option to "Open with Internet Explorer ". :(

My advice, change your default browser to something else - IE, Chrome, FF, or Pale Moon all work fine for this. I use IE11.

Last edited: 2015/10/12
    Bill,
    grensam and Admin. like this.
  5. 2015/10/12
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I've abandoned Edge altogether. I've had Chrome running in parallel with IE for a long time, each accessing a different home page/email account. When Win10 installed itself (instead of just downloading as I expected), it wiped IE11 out altogether. The "click to open" link for it takes me to msn.com, even though the target address is still IE11.

I guess Microsoft still thinks its customers are all high-functioning computer nerds, not just regular consumers. Maybe by the 20th iteration of Win10, they'll get one the ordinary folks can use. I'll be running a Macintosh long before then, maybe by next month if I can get a good price for my Dell lap-top.

6. 2015/10/12
    Bill

Not really. It just made Edge the default. IE11 is still there. As for MSN, change the default home page.

Bill,
  7. 2015/10/12
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I guess I will use IE11 for now.

Sven

SVEN,
  8. 2015/10/20
    grensam

grensam Well-Known Member

Makes one wonder why the big rush to put win 10 on all computers when they know its not quite ready yet. Somethings work on different machines

9. 2015/10/20
    Bill

W10 was ready. Edge was not. That said, the main complaint people had with IE is speed (though I have no problem) and with Edge being so lean, it is fast - beating all other browsers in many areas - with only Chrome beating it in a few areas. But it is even improving in those areas too. So if speed is your priority, give Edge a chance.

Bill,