1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

intial log in needed?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by chaosrn, 2015/10/10.

1. 2015/10/10
    chaosrn Lifetime Subscription

chaosrn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

okay so now wind 10 wants my Microsoft account info and PW for that account. and that is to login local, not even to go to the web. any ideas why, and I can't shut it off..... almost as bad as the "security policies" at the J.O.B.:mad:

2. 2015/10/11
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi chaosrn. Where are you seeing that Windows 10 wants your Microsoft login and password? Is this on the Windows 10 login screen or when using the Microsoft Store?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Look in settings for your account and under your user name, does it say Local Account?

Bill,
  5. 2015/10/11
    chaosrn Lifetime Subscription

chaosrn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

no, but then when i go to step two, it is asking me to create a PW to sign in.... ?
    what changed? i have been using Win10 for a while, and all of a sudden now it asks for PW?
    am i being paranoid about controlled access and being forced to sign in? if i'm not on the computer it is off, with no "wake on .." set up. (i might even start resorting to shutting off the surge protector)

6. 2015/10/11
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

7. 2015/10/12
    Bill

Right, you don't have to, but you should. Without a password, anyone can walk up to your computer and start using it under your name. And it should be a strong password, at least 8 characters, with letters, numbers and special characters. But it does not have to be. It can be 2 letters if you want - as long as it is something others can not easily guess. Don't use your initials, for example.

This will not stop a determined, experienced badguy who might steal your computer, but it will stop a nosy neighbor or visiting nephew.

Bill,
  8. 2015/10/12
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

Somebody tried to hack my account a month ago when I was out of town. I was contacted by email by Microsoft. Protect yourself!

9. 2015/10/13
    Bill

:eek: Sounds like a scam to me. Microsoft does not send emails to users saying they are infected. They don't call people on the phone either.

I hope you did not click on any link in the email. :(

Bill,
  10. 2015/10/13
    MasterChief

I never said I was infected!
    When Microsoft suspects malicious activity on your account they will contact you. I'm not going to copy my emails to prove to you this fact. They were protecting me.

Btw, Windows Defender works well. I tested it myself. :)

11. 2015/10/13
    Bill

And I never said you did! I said it sounds like a scam. One of many scams going around where someone pretending to be from Microsoft says you are infected so they can get you to click on a link giving them remote access, or to provide them your credit card information so they can supposedly fix your computer.

No they don't! Contrary to what many believe, Microsoft is NOT monitoring your computer (or your account)! So I say again, Microsoft does not send emails to users saying they are infected.

See the Microsoft Security Bulletin, Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently and note where it says (their bold),

And yes, Windows Defender works well. I've been using it on all my systems since W8 was released in 2012 and its sibling MSE with W7 since Oct 2009. But regardless your anti-malware solution of choice, you should always have a supplemental scanner to use for on-demand scanning just to make sure the you, the user and always weakest link in security, did not open the door and let something in. For that, I use and recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM).

Admin. likes this.
  12. 2015/10/13
    MasterChief

I believe ther be a difference in security notification vs unsolicited emails.

My apology to the OP.

Last edited: 2015/10/13
  13. 2015/10/13
    Bill

There is a HUGE difference! Security Notifications - which I get too - go out to everyone who has signed up to receive them. They are NOT sent "When Microsoft suspects malicious activity on your account ", because again, Microsoft is not monitoring your computer (or account) for malicious activity.