1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 10 hangs with black screen after upgrade from Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KenD, 2015/09/04.

1. 2015/09/04
    KenD

KenD Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My daughter installed Windows 10 on her ASUS K601J laptop from Windows 7. After the upgrade, she could log into her account but it would not show the desktop or run any applications. The screen stayed black. There was the notification bar across the bottom, but nothing would work. I could raise the Task Manager, but that was no help.

The only hint I could get from the Internet was the suggestion that it somehow thought there were two monitors. It did act that way as the nearly blank display would blink on and off. I was able to boot into Safe mode and found that indeed there were two monitors listed in Device Manager. I uninstalled first one then both, but when I rebooted they came back and the display was the same as before.

I did manage to restore Windows 7, so she can use it again. Are there any ideas about what went wrong with Win10 and how she can make it work?

KenD,
  2. 2015/09/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Is she or did she ever use 2 monitors? Does it still show 2 monitors in Win 7? If so, remove one from there and see if it stays removed. Then maybe try it upgrade to 10 again.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/04
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 I got that same screen. Microsoft kept trying to install a graphics driver that was not compatible with my integrated switchable graphics. That even happened when I tried updating to the next build through Windows 10 Technical Preview Edition. Each time a new build became available I had to wipe the drive and create an ISO DVD then load the next build. I got so disgusted that I ended up reinstalling Windows 7. It's a shame because I am usually one of the first to jump to the newest Windows OS and I only use Professional Edition or in Windows 7 the Ultimate Edition.

Last edited: 2015/09/04
    lj50,
  5. 2015/09/04
    KenD

Two monitors?

MrBill - As far as I know she has never used two monitors. The next time I get a chance, I will look to see if the two monitors are listed in her Windows 7.
    Thank you.

KenD,
  6. 2015/09/04
    KenD

lj50 - I'm sorry you had to revert to Win7. I don't think she will want to 'wipe her drive'! Another suggestion was to uninstall the graphics card, but I did not see one in her device manager. I wonder why.

KenD,
  7. 2015/09/04
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

At least she has win 7 back. That is very strange there isn't a listing for the graphics card in the device manager. Can you go to the Asus website to see if there is a driver or driver update for her card. My apologies if you tried this already.

lj50,
  8. 2015/09/04
    KenD

I thought that was strange also. I will look the next time I see her. Thanks for the suggestion.

KenD,
  9. 2015/09/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi KenD, My advice FWIW is to go through this MS info very thoroughly and OPEN and read ALL parts of it BEFORE trying the Upgrade to W10.

Windows 10 help and how to Upgrade
    It's well worth spending time checking this out. Neil.

10. 2015/09/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I keep seeing reports of this and I am experiencing too, but not consistently, with my Toshiba notebook. The problem seems to be isolated to systems that were previously W7 and most are with notebooks which makes me wonder about power options.

In my case, however, once my patience wears thin, if I mouse the mouse cursor, suddenly I see the spinning pointer and soon (another 10 - 20 seconds) the system comes to life and works perfectly - until the problem recurs. Not being a consistent issue makes it hard to troubleshoot but I suspect a driver or setting. I also suspect with more and more reports of this, Microsoft will soon be able to duplicate the problem and issue a fix.

So all I can say now is "hurry and wait" for a fix. In the meantime, I would try to ensure all the drivers are current and Windows 7 is otherwise fully updated too.

Bill,