1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Security Center error

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rikki, 2015/08/27.

1. 2015/08/27
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I cannot turn on the Windows Security Center. If I try I just get a failure error. When I look at the services, it is listed but disabled. If I try to start it, I get an access denied error. I have followed the Microsoft advice. I ran two full scans with Defender and Anti-Malwarebytes and they both came up clean. I then changed the permissions settings in the Registry to make sure both administrator and user accounts have full access. This doesn't make any difference. I still get access denied when I try to start the service. Does anyone have any other ideas what could be preventing this service from starting?

2. 2015/08/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rikki, Where is your Security Center? Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Real time protection > On/Off?
    Right Click Start > Control Panel > Security and maintenance?
    Where are you at? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/27
    rikki

Hi Neil,

Whatever I try I get the same result, security center can't be started. The security center service is disabled and when I try to enable it I get an access denied error. I have changed permissions in the Registry but it doesn't help. Turning off real time protection makes no difference. Where I am? New Zealand.

5. 2015/08/27
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member

I cannot change anything in the "windows defender," all is greyed out! That may have something to do with my problem... hmm...

6. 2015/08/27
    retiredlearner

Thanks rikki you misunderstood my query. I cannot fathom the use of the terminology you use eg, "Windows Security Center ".
    I'm using W10 Pro 64bit and no way do I have a heading as you state.
    That is why I indicated the route by 2 obvious ways to open Update and Security. Another route to get to Settings is to click on the Notification Icon in the systray.
    When you open Update and Security you have 6 areas shown on the left:
    Windows Update, Windows Defender, Backup, Recovery, Activation and For Developers.
    What I read from your Thread is that Windows Defender is activated and will run scans.
    Please explain where you are at - was a question for you to tell us How and Where you get your "Windows Security Center" to appear. :confused: Neil.

14U2DAY you should start your own Thread as you obviously have a different problem.

Last edited: 2015/08/27
  7. 2015/08/27
    rikki

Dear Neil,

I am running Windows 10 Home edition 64 bit which I downloaded as a free upgrade. There is a notifications button on the far right of my taskbar. Every time I boot this button says I have new notifications. If I click on it a panel pops up on the right side of the screen. This panel displays information about various things but it always insists that I need to turn on the Windows Security Centre. If I click on that message an error window pops up in the middle of my screen saying the Windows Security Centre Service can't be started. This is a literal quote.

I know how to access the Security Centre from Control Panel. If I click on Security and Maintenance, I see two security messages, one about the Security Centre Service and the other about Windows Smart Screen. If I click the button to turn on the Windows Security Service, I get the same error that it can't be started.

Since this is a service, I clicked on Computer Management to see the list of services. The Security Centre service appears on this list, but it is disabled. If I try to enable it, I get a message that 'Access is denied'. I did some checking on this and followed a Microsoft recommendation to change the permission settings for the Security Centre Service in the Registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wcncsvc). I changed the setting for Administrator and Users to Full Control. In spite of this I still get the Access Denied message when I try to start the service. I don't know what else to try and that is why I have posted about it here.

The terminology I am using is exactly the terminology that Microsoft uses, at least on my computer. I do also have the Update & Security section you mention, which is under Settings, and you are correct that my Windows Defender is activated and up to date. The first thing I tried was to use it to scan for malware but it came up clean. As an added check I scanned again with Malwarebytes and it also said it could not find anything.

I would guess that I could fix the problem if I could overcome the extremely annoying Access Denied issue, but I have already taken the recommended action and I can not find any other suggested remedies. That is why I am asking for help here.

Just to make sure my answer to your question is clear, one way I get to the Windows Security Centre is via the notifications panel since there is always a message there about it not being turned on. The other way is via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance. This is separate from Update & Security.

I hope that helps clarify things.

Rikki

8. 2015/08/28
    retiredlearner

rikki could you take a screen shot of the Windows Security Center info that appears on your screen and Post it for us to see.
    I cannot get any of that info anywhere on my comps running W10. I suspect you have the Windows Security Center that was in W7 and W8.1 and which is not supposed to be in W10. Neil.

9. 2015/08/28
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

My other laptop will not activate Windows Defender because I already had/have Antivirus on it. Not sure if this helps, but food for thought.

10. 2015/08/28
    rikki

Hi Neil,

That would be amusing if this is a carry over from 8.1. In spite of all the hype, Windows 10 seems to be well on the way to becoming another Windows 98 or Vista. Lots of strange bugs and quirks.

I am enclosing two screen shots to illustrate what I am seeing. If this is from 8.1, then something must be very wrong. When I upgraded everything seemed to proceed smoothly without any errors or hiccups. It is very odd.

Rikki

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
  11. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

rikki, do/did you have another AV and/or Firewall on your previous OS. In MS recommendations to prepare for the Upgrade, they suggest stopping or uninstalling AV's prior to the install of the Upgrade.
    All my Upgrades have been flawless and I wonder whether that was due to the fact I was using MSE/Defender as my AV. Neil.

This may be useful to check for a cure to your problem: "Recovery Options in W10 Upgrades" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
    There are quite a few options to check out if you have troubles. Neil.

Last edited: 2015/08/29
  12. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

13. 2015/08/29
    rikki

Neil,

I upgraded from 8.1 and it seemed to go smoothly though there were some issues after installation. I was using Defender as my AV and Online Armor as my firewall. Everything checks out according to the link you posted except the Security Centre service won't start. None of the rollback options appeal to me. It would be an enormous hassle and I am frankly weary of this typical Windows nonsense. I sure wish Microsoft could learn to produce a product that works correctly the first time.

Thanks for trying, Rikki

14. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

Why don't you try W10 Firewall? Uninstall your Online Armor and see if everything works OK.
    Then you could try Online Armor again. It's my guess that OA is not fully compatible with W10. Neil.

15. 2015/08/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Online Armor is NOT compatible with Windows 10 according to .....

Emsisoft Online Armor support roadmap
    This may be the source of your problem.

rikki likes this.
  16. 2015/08/29
    rikki

It sure looks like it. There's always something, isn't there? It (probably) never would have occurred to me to look at the firewall, so thank you very much for the tip. I will see if I can get the Windows firewall working. No point in sticking with a product that is no longer supported.

17. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

All the research I did indicated that MS had not included Windows Security Center in the W10 build, therefore it was from your earlier OS and was not compatible with W10.
    It seems that if users want to have a flawless Upgrade for FREE they have to uninstall 3rd. party AV's and Firewalls PRIOR to the upgrade.
    This is probably why I did not experience any problems with my 5 Upgrades as I was using MSE/Defender - all MS products. Neil.

18. 2015/08/29
    rikki

It is confusing when Microsoft does not make this kind of thing clear. I followed the instructions I was given and did exactly what I was told to. The upgrade notification appeared automatically on my computer and I clicked on it. Nowhere did I see anything about uninstalling existing software first. If I had, I would have done it.

I have now uninstalled Online Armor and checked that Windows firewall is working. That seems okay but I still have the Windows Security Centre on my computer and it still nags me with messages to start it, which I can't do. I guess my question now is if this is a remnant of 8.1 how do I get rid of it without having to do a clean install?

19. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

rikki, it might be worth while using CCleaner or ADW to remove the WSC files.
    You may be able to remove WSC in the Registry but I would not be able to instruct you with that direction.
    Hopefully someone with the necessary knowledge will look in and be able to help you. Neil.

20. 2015/08/29
    rikki

Ok thanks Neil. I would like to get rid of this but I can also live with it if I have to. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than the constant notifications.

21. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

Try > Start > Settings > System > Notifications and Actions > Switch off show App Notifications see if that does it. Neil.