1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Browser availability in Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fdamp, 2015/08/26.

1. 2015/08/26
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have two e-mail addresses, one for family/personal stuff and one for outside things like on-line shopping. On XP and 8.1, I use IE for the family sites and Chrome for the other.

Does Win 10 allow browsers other than its built-in successor to IE, such as Chrome or Firefox?

2. 2015/08/26
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Yes it does. You can install any browser including Chrome & Firefox.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2015/08/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You can make the changes in W10 > Start > Settings > System > Default Apps.
    Browsers and Email clients. Neil.

6. 2015/08/26
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

E-mail addresses really have nothing to do with browsers.

Admin. likes this.
  7. 2015/08/27
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sadly, and for reasons I don't understand, Microsoft pushed out it new browser, Edge, without it being fully developed. It is a very nice and a very quick browser, no doubt. But it does not, for example, support any add-ons - yet. But what myself and many are displeased about is Microsoft hid Internet Explorer 11 in W10 while pushing out this not yet fully developed Edge. :(

Fortunately, it is still there (so is the Quicklaunch toolbar BTW :)) and you can find IE11 and stick it to your taskbar. But on top of the fact you cannot add any add-ons to Edge, even if you set IE as your default in Settings, MS introduced a bug in W10, with some Microsoft programs, Microsoft Outlook 2007 for example, and if you click on a link in the affected program, you will get a prompt to select which browser you want to open it with even after you set IE as the default in Settings. In that prompt window, you have to select IE to open with IE. And to make it more frustrating, there is a check box in that popup windows to once again make IE the default, but it doesn't stick!!! If you click on another link Outlook 2007 (and Outlook 10 too, I think), you once again get that prompt.

But if you select Chrome, Firefox or Edge and check the default box, it sticks! Just not for IE!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: The bug as been reported and supposedly there is a fix coming but... .

Bill,