1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

SSD and locked rights

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 14U2DAY, 2015/08/26.

1. 2015/08/26
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member Thread Starter

[FONT= "Tahoma"][/FONT] Greetings
    I have a 250GB SSD drive as my boot drive for the OS and on my "D:\" drive I installed/moved all of my software and my user profile so that I could save the space on the SSD. Before the Win 10 update.
    I was dodging the Windoze 10 upgrade for the longest and finally it just started on its own before I could get an image of my 7 version. (by the way I was using a wireless connection to the router), after fumbling with this new OS for 5 days, I finally figured out that the drivers for the wireless adapter was stopping the first initial login to the new Win 10. Got all of that figured out... now I'm Win 10: system... storage... and at the bottom look for "saved location... "
    "new apps will be saved to: [This PC C:] and greyed out! so now everything will now be installed on the C: instead of the D:!!! In Win7, this was great because I could always choose the D: during software installations...
    Is there a way to get control of these settings?
    I do have other questions about 10, but I'm going through the other post to see if its already a fixed..

2. 2015/08/26
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Did you actually move your Documents Folder Music Pictures and so forth to your D drive.
    MS claims that your folders and Settings should not be changed during the update to 10.
    I certainly hope that I will not have to move them again.
    hawk22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You may have to reinstall everything. You have 30 days to revert back to your previous Operating System.

Last edited: 2015/08/26
    lj50,
  5. 2015/08/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Here is an excellent set of instructions:
    How to prepare your PC for the Windows 10 upgrade

There is emphasis placed on making a copy of your current system before the Upgrade. Save your precious info BEFORE the Upgrade.
    I've spent a bit of time searching the web on this subject and all I've seen is continued iteration regarding copying and saving your data/files before proceeding with any changes.
    You can only try software like Recuva to help after the event. Neil.

6. 2015/08/27

That's what I'm trying to do is get control of the C: drive.... if you have win10, look at the settings of "saved locations" and see if its greyed out...

7. 2015/08/27

I'm pretty much hosed on getting the image out of windows.old...

8. 2015/08/27

Thank you retiredleaner, it did the upgrade without me giving it permission to do so... In other words, I didn't click on anything to start the upgrade... and I'm trying to get control of the C: drive to move everything back to the D: drive...

9. 2015/08/27
    retiredlearner

Did you not see a notification on the Lower Right area of your screen?
    You would also have seen the message in Windows Update. W10 does not install automatically unless you missed the notifications.
    You have the opportunity to select an install time to suit you or you could defer the install till a later time. Neil.

10. 2015/08/28

I did see the windows 10 icon for weeks and when I took a look at it, it stated that I will get an email when its ready to be upgraded... however, I never got the email and the windows update came up and started the download. I'm thinking that it was just going to download the software... not install the update... went to work and returned... my PC had the windows 10 login screen.... it installed through the windows update because again I didn't click on anything to start the installation.

So much for that, and I have it running... and I can't restore my OS back to the original. So back to my question of gaining access to the C: drive so that I can move what I have currently and install all future software on my D: drive... it's greyed out!

11. 2015/08/31

Does anyone have a fix/way of getting control of the C:\ in settings, systems, storage, saved location... "New apps will save to:" (This PC [C:] is greyed out... How can I change that to save to a different drive?)

12. 2015/08/31

Hawk22, I didn't have a chance to do anything... everything was already on another drive, so win10 couldn't find the user on the C, I think it decided to create the login user and drop things there... on the C and not the D, I'm guessing... I sure didn't have a say so with this matter!

13. 2015/08/31
    retiredlearner

14. 2015/08/31

Yeah Neil, I think it only installs to the C:. However, I was thinking that one of the gurus would know how to remedy the greyed out setting some how. Wishful thinking at this point...