1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Inaccessible boot drive message after re-setting windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by reknaw, 2015/08/05.

1. 2015/08/05
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Taking the free WIN 10 upgrade from WIN 7, all seemed to work OK for a day so I elected to "Reset" to clean out my old files, data, etc, which was my plan...as soon as the reset had finished and it restarted a message appeared

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to resrart - we will restart for you - INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE " and it keeps going through the same loop until I shut it down.

Can anyone help me with this please? Guess I should have left well alone and kept all my junk file :)

2. 2015/08/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I would have used CCleaner to get rid of Temp Files etc. rather than a Reset. You may need to use the Insider Product Key for verification.
    This may involve a call to MS for advice. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/06
    reknaw

Thanks Neil. I do used CCleaner all the time but it never did removed the many "archived files with passwords" .

With all due respects it was your suggestion in my Win7 to use the Reset of Win 10 after backing up files and using Belarc to print off all my Product Keys etc....which I did, so I do have them. That Belarc is a very handy program.(thanks)

Apparently from Googling I have found that my problem is a very common problem with using "Reset" to get a clean upgrade,with no positive answer that I have seen so far. Ken

5. 2015/08/06
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I would look in the BIOS to double check the Boot Sequence and make sure it's pointing to the C drive.

6. 2015/08/09
    reknaw

Steve, or anyone. I'd like to try that(I'll try anything at this stage) but having never been into BIOS before I can't find C: drive anywhere... am I looking in the right place...here's where I am at:
    Phenix SecureCore(tm) Setup Utility.
    Info. Main. Security, Boot, Exit, I assume I'm suposed to go to "Boot" where there, it says:
    Boot priority order:
    1: IDE O: SAMSUNG HM640JJ - (S1)
    2: IDE CD/DVD Optiare DVD RW AD-7585H
    3: NETWORK BOOT: MBA v12.2.2. sLOT 0200
    4: USB HDD:
    5: USB FDD:
    6: USB KEY: CD/DVD

Under Exit
    Exit Discarding Changes
    Exit Load Set up Defaults
    Discard Changes
    Save Changes

I can see where to change the above order but no where to ADD C drive.

I'd really like to sort this soon, would Setup Defaults Help or Hinder.

Any other suggestions?... I did download a "Media Creation Tool" to a blank USB drive from MS web site... I believe that's another download of WIN 10. Hopefully that will overwrite the first copy or repair it ???? but haven't been able to load and open it.

7. 2015/08/09
    retiredlearner

Item #1 shows Samsung HM604JJ which is your HDD and that is where your C: should be. Neil.

8. 2015/08/10
    reknaw

But how do I add it there Neil ...can't see anywhere it says "add or change "

9. 2015/08/11
    reknaw

Any one ??? :confused::confused:

10. 2015/08/11
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

It would appear that your C drive is the First Boot option and thus my suggestion isn't going to help.

Did you make the re-install DVD's when you first got the machine?

11. 2015/08/11
    reknaw

No, my original Hard drive was corrupt when I dropped while uploading.... a friend replaced it with a used one he had, I assume that's the Samsung showing up. Sadly he died over the winter so that's really all I know about it. Win 7 was working fine but had many Archived and password files on it. I up graded to Win 10 and it also was working fine. That's when I decided to use the "reset" to get a clean Win 10 (to get rid of these Archived files) and start with a fresh install.. I have Win 10 on a USB stick now and want to load it (I do have my Win 7 key/license recorded) all I've been getting is the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE" error message over and over. That's where I am at. I actually just downloaded WIN 10 it on a brand new USB stick as I read somewhere it sometimes won't work on a re-formatted one (which I had/have) - just don't know what to do next. I think from Googling it seems a common problem once one hits that "reset" button for a clean download....but haven't seen a solution anywhere yet.

12. 2015/08/11
    reknaw

Think it would help any if I changed the priory order in BIOS to have #4 USB HHD as my #1 Priory....at least for now - and then try installing my the Win 10 I just downloaded on the new USB memory stick ???

13. 2015/08/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I would do a clean install, but not on a USB stick (can't even remember / bother to check - if that's suppose to work).

Just do a clean install on your HD.

I'm having a laptop from a family member with the same problem. Apparently he ran into problem during the upgrade and claims to have tried a clean install. Of course the USB stick that's suppose to have the Win10 on it is empty.

So now I'm downloading the correct ISO and have to attempt to install that when done...

14. 2015/08/12
    reknaw

Arie, I cannot get into my laptop, when it opens I get the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE" error message loop, over and over, until I force shut it down. As far as I know there should not be any Win7 files/data left on it,,, just Win 10 that I "reset" and that won't boot up. I do now have the Win 10 downloaded to a new USB stick ...but have not tried to see if that will boot up and download another "clean install" over whatever is on the hard drive. Was hoping for a solution to the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE" to get that booted and start Win 10 ...... doesn't look that anyone here or anywhere else I have searched has an answer yet....even though it appears to be a common problem when "resetting" after taking the free download (which was installed and running fine until "reset ".

15. 2015/08/12
    Arie

Change the Boot order to the device that holds the Win10 image/install should be all that is needed.

16. 2015/08/12
    reknaw

Boot priority order:
    1: IDE O: SAMSUNG HM640JJ - (S1)
    2: IDE CD/DVD Optiare DVD RW AD-7585H
    3: NETWORK BOOT: MBA v12.2.2. sLOT 0200
    4: USB HDD:
    5: USB FDD:
    6: USB KEY: CD/DVD

So if Iuse the W10 Install I have downloaded on my USB Memory stick... which one from the above (which I presently have) would you suggest # 4, 5 or 6 ?

Can't do it 'til tomorrow now as I left the laptop at my office.

Thanks Arie

17. 2015/08/12
    Arie

Its probably #6, USB KEY: CD/DVD.

I ran into the snag that this laptop is using UEFI, so I'm preparing a USB install to see if that works. Otherwise I may just change the BIOS to legacy and blow the whole HD to pieces (repartition) to install...

18. 2015/08/12
    Arie

OK, so the USB install got things working... installing right now on a GPT partition....

19. 2015/08/18
    reknaw

So what exactly did you do and what should I do ?
    I did try different boot orders but none work. Will I need a bootable USB as I've seen mentioned elsewhere - no idea how I get/make that.

Is yours still working OK now ?

20. 2015/08/18
    retiredlearner

I would suggest you have a look at this MS info and Open all sections and read thoroughly through the info as there is a 'special' procedure to follow if you are installing from a USB stick.
    "Installing W10 using the Media Creation Tool "
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10
    As I Posted in another Thread, I used the MCT to burn a DVD and the install went flawlessly.
    I did a copy/paste/print and followed the instructions carefully. Neil.

21. 2015/08/18
    reknaw

Think we are at cross purpose here, probably I didn't explain myself properly. I did download Win 10 from Win 7 and it also was flawless.... it was after I had been running it for a couple of days that I decided to do a "reset" and that is where the problem of INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE loop started. I am now sitting with a new USB stick on which I downloaded W10 using the Media Creation Tool.... My problem now is trying to install from the USB... when I boot up, it continues to go straight into the same INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE loop. I have read what you suggested and can see no solution there for what happens after clicking "reset" I cannot find my original Win7 disk to try reloaded it to start all over again. I believe I need to be able to boot up and have it go to my USB drive so as I can get into it and reload or repair.... right now I cannot do that. It appears that Arie is doing something very similar with a better result.