1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 10 fails on my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scgoh123, 2015/08/01.

1. 2015/08/01
    scgoh123

scgoh123 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I upgraded my Laptop to Windows 10 just to undergo clean install of it.
    Now I have seriously regretted doing so.

Firstly, my laptop had became significantly slow. The min specs is 1GB RAM, which my laptop had already fulfilled, but it lags heavily. Executing programs is almost impossible, and my laptop will hang at the 'restarting' screen.
    Secondly, when I pressed 'Enter' on Google search, it would automatically pops up Power Options, without fail.
    Thirdly, and the most serious problem ever, is MY DISPLAY!!! Since my native resolution is 1366x768, the system automatically adjusted the resolution to 1024x768, which had cause the display looks distorted and its clearness decreases. I attempted to adjust the resolution manually, but it just show '1024x768' and '800x600', which means I can't get back my native resolution!!
    Fourthly, I can't adjust the brightness on the screen.

That's the consequences when I forcefully turn on the Windows 10 upgrade reservation box, thinking that my laptop should be able to run it if I undergo a clean install of it. But after upgrading, it shows these problems, I doubt that I shall continue with clean installation, presuming that the problem may persists even after clean installation. Seriously, at that time, I've read the minimum system requirements of Windows 10, and my laptop met all of them. Maybe I've overlooked the old graphics driver that may not be compatible with Windows 10.

So, how can I force Windows 10 to show the resolution of 1366x768? And at this rate, with my laptop specs, should I continue with clean installation? Or I just have to roll back to Windows 7?
    Any advice on this is appreciated.

2. 2015/08/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Happened with me too when I upgraded from Win 8.1.

Update the chip and video drivers & everything should be fine.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/01
    scgoh123

Update my video drivers may looks impossible as my laptop is as slow as a tortoise. But I will try and see how.

5. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

HI scgoh123, was your laptop slow before the installation or after?
    I would roll back to W8.1 if the slowness was created by the upgrade.
    Start > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > your choice of options.
    I used the option to download the ISO and burn to DVD and prepared my laptop by cleaning Temp Files etc. then put the disc in the drive and followed instructions.
    All as sweet as in 1 hours time. :D All Data/Files in place and all working 100%. ;) Neil.

PS. Did WU tell you your laptop was all OK for the upgrade? It would have told you if anything was not compatible.

Last edited: 2015/08/01
  6. 2015/08/02
    scgoh123

My laptop slows down a lot after the upgrade. However, after I've updated my Graphics Drivers, everything works fine, I got back my native 1366x768 resolution, except for Booting process which took about 1 min+. Thanks rsinfo!

Haha my previous OS on my laptop is Windows 7.

WU said that there is no compatibility issues with my laptop before the upgrade.

Now, my next problem is: I don't see Avira Antivirus on my taskbar, and when I execute the program on the Start Menu, nothing happens. It seems that Avira Antivirus doesn't work with Windows 10.

Secondly, I noticed that my laptop boot screen has changed a little bit:
    Previously in Windows 7 it looks like this:
    http://i56.tinypic.com/33xa2h2.jpg

But after upgrading to Windows 10, it looks the same but below the screen, the option of 'press F2 to enter setup' and 'press F12 to enter boot menu' is gone. Is it normal?

7. 2015/08/02
    retiredlearner

Isn't that info set in BIOS? W10 may have affected that as it would be setting Product key through BIOS as it did in W8.1??? Neil.

8. 2015/08/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Avira is compatible with Win 10. Maybe you are using an older version. Download the latest version & reinstall.

Win 10 hasn't got anything to do with BIOS. I also get the boot message on laptop off & on. It was same in Win 8.1.

9. 2015/08/02
    retiredlearner

rsinfo, the screen shot that was shown is the Toshiba splash which I thought was built into the BIOS. You can control that setting in BIOS with most newer m/b's.
    scgoh123, why not use the AV (Defender) which is built in the W10 OS? No conflicts to worry about. Neil.

10. 2015/08/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

MS Defender is in bottom of the heap as per most anti virus testing sites. Not recommended.

11. 2015/08/07
    scgoh123

Yeah that's the splash screen pre-installed on my laptop.
    But I'm just worried that I can no longer access BIOS since the options isn't there.

I've reinstalled the latest version of Avira. Personally I don't really like MS defender.

12. 2015/08/08
    scgoh123

UPDATE: When I pressed F2 repeatedly when the splash screen appears, it does nothing and Windows boot up like normal!

I have lost access to BIOS!!

When I googled, something struck on my mind: Windows 10 are preferably to operate on UEFI system. Even though it will work on Legacy BIOS PCs (like my laptop), but there's a risk that it will corrupt BIOS isn't it?

Is my PC's BIOS corrupted? Will running a firmware update solve this problem? I am afraid to do so as flashing BIOS may have a risk of bricking my laptop.

13. 2015/08/09
    retiredlearner

Have you got your Manual? On my brother's Toshiba - you hold down F12 and then Start laptop and release F12 AFTER the Toshiba screen comes on.
    Then you can select from the Menu what area you want to enter. Neil.

14. 2015/08/09
    scgoh123

I've pressed any combination buttons such as DEL, F2, or F12, but it doesn't work.
    Long pressing them also no avail.
    My laptop doesn't come with a complete user manual so I have to download from the official website.

Maybe I did not explain clearly in post #5. I attached a snapshot of my BIOS splash screen:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, by comparing with the URL attached in post #5, the options to get access to BIOS is lost. Any key combinations don't work.

Last edited: 2015/08/09
  15. 2015/08/09
    retiredlearner

Did you PRESS and HOLD F12 BEFORE and during the Toshiba screen arrival? Once the Toshiba screen shows - THEN release F12. Neil.

16. 2015/08/10
    scgoh123

YES I followed exactly your step. Pressed the button and hold until the screen appears, then release it. It just booted to Windows.

17. 2015/08/10
    retiredlearner

You may have to try this more than once as it took me a couple of goes to get my brother's Satellite to work.
    What is the exact Model of your Toshiba? Can you give us all the numbers off the plate underneath. Neil.

18. 2015/08/10
    scgoh123

My Laptop model is Toshiba Satellite C640 PSC00L-01D001

19. 2015/08/11
    scgoh123

UPDATE: When I googled it, suddenly I've found this thread:
    http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/4833-no-bios.html

BIOS is not accessible on my laptop is because: the fast startup option is enabled.

And today I saw my laptop battery indicator is blinking (running out of battery) and I wondered, why the laptop is using battery while it had already shut down?
    And referring to the link above, it seems that fast startup doesn't really shut down my laptop, it's just making it 'hibernate'. That's the reason my laptop BIOS splash screen showed otherwise. (Forgot to mention, the BIOS splash screen I've attached is what I will get when my laptop wakes up from hibernating (previously when I'm using Windows 7), and of course, BIOS is not accessible when you wake your laptop up.)

And after following the prompt to disable fast startup, and VOILA! I got back the normal BIOS splash screen with the option to press F2 to get into BIOS and whatsoever.
    It's glad that the problem is solved, but just a little flaw: startup time and shutdown time had increased significantly, well, since it's not waking up from 'false shutdown aka hibernating mode'.

With the slow performance, I will still consider that Windows 10 has failed on my laptop.
    Maybe I will consider rolling it back to Windows 7.

Well thanks rsinfo and retiredleaner for assisting me this time!

Last edited: 2015/08/11