1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Image 8.1 before 10 install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by desertbluesman, 2015/07/02.

1. 2015/07/02
    desertbluesman

desertbluesman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I found out how to make an image of my 8.1 laptop and office desktop using File History and System Image Backup. (I will need an external HD to do so) because the image for the laptop is 64 gigs and the image for the desktop is 94 gigs.

Anyways before I go out and buy the drive, I would like to ask; How do you restore the 8.1 image if one does not like 10? Is this possible with the computer running 10?

2. 2015/07/02
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/02
    desertbluesman

Thanks for your reply, I do not have a Win 8 DVD I am using computers that came with the OS and recovery partitions. I guess I could generate a boot DVD somehow, not sure.

I am talking about an image generated in File History. Sort of like a Ghost Image in older Windows computers. Which will reinstall all of my data and apps like the Ghost or Drive Image programs used to do pre Win 8.x. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of that?

With my old Drive Image 7 program you could just ask the computer to restore the image using Drive Image 7

Last edited: 2015/07/02
  5. 2015/07/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi desertbluesman, with W8/8.1 OS, when the OS was installed you should have been offered the chance to make one (1) copy of the system for Recovery in case of problems.
    This gives you the choice of performing a System Recovery/Minimized Image Recovery/Factory Reset from the Recovery Media you either burn to disc or save to USB drive.
    Have you checked to see whether you can carry out this operation or whether it has already been done once on the unit? Neil.

6. 2015/07/02
    desertbluesman

Thanks Neil I did that on my desktop but not yet on the laptop.

7. 2015/07/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Instead of relying only the inbuilt image software, I would urge you to use 3rd party applications many of which are free. I have found that the Windows backup doesn't work consistently.

I have been using AOMEI Backupper for last few years & recommend it.

8. 2015/07/06
    desertbluesman

Thanks it looks good.......