1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Browsers won't stay logged in

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Ski52, 2009/02/16.

1. 2009/02/16
    Ski52

Ski52 Inactive Thread Starter

I use both IE7 & Firefox 3.06 in XP Pro SP3. I had the latest version of both until recently. I backed IE from 8 to 7 thinking that may solve the problem as the Beta 8 D/L was about the time the problem seemed to start. I cannot remain logged in at any site I normally go to, with either browser. They both maintain the user names & passwords and it's just a matter of a little mousework to get back logged in, until I close the browser, and then we start over again. I have cookies turned on in both, and have completely flushed both caches of everything I can find many times. Still the problem stays. This is a recent development - <2 weeks.

I am considering a wipe and reinstall, but am debating trying Windows 7 again, if they have some better drivers.

Like to get this little annoyance fixed.......

BTW just went to Vonage phone service that caused some Router work/changes, but I don't think that should affect this problem.

TIA

Ski

2. 2009/02/16
    Ski52

May have found a resolution - maybe.....

Seems that Firefox now stores it's cookies in an .sqlite file, which, in my case AVG has no clue what it is so it says it must be bad - throw the stop sticks out!
    Also, after some research, accepting 3rd party cookies, albeit possibly not bad, is not really needed in most cases and just may interfere with some of the security factors of the 'newer' browsers.
    So I disabled 3rd party cookies, cleaned out both caches, cookies, everything and will see what happens.
    Still can't see if FF is having a problem with cookies and a new file, why would it effect IE?

Time will tell......

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/02/18
    Ski52

Seems to have fixed it. Thanks for all the help.....

5. 2009/02/18
    jonbey

jonbey Inactive

AVG again. I am having similar problems on Vista. AVG was mentioned as a possible reason. Will attempt your method.

6. 2009/02/19
    Ski52

I've managed to stay logged in to all my 'tabs' in both browsers for 24 hours or so, better than it's done for the last few days.