1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Vista computer - can't access from rest of my network

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by deck, 2008/06/05.

1. 2008/06/05
    deck

deck Inactive Thread Starter

OK ... my head hurts too much from banging it on the table. This CAN'T be this hard to fix.

My network includes several XP and Win 98 computers and now 1 with Vista (Home Premium). I can't access the Vista machine from my XP computers (file transfers, etc.). The Vista computer is NOT listed in "My Network Places ", however when I then click "View Workgroup Computers" it IS listed there. But when I try and access it, I get:

"\\[computer name] is not accessible. ...

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced. "

The Vista computer has no problems accessing any XP computer, including my laptop (which none of my other XP computers can access, although it is listed in "My Network Places ". :confused:)

So basically I've always transferred files from the laptop since until now that always worked. This includes transferring files between 2 different computers.

Obviously I could now just do all my transferring of files with the Vista computer, but I'd rather fix whatever the real problem is since I don't (yet) use the Vista computer much.

I have several different versions of XP. Firewall is Zone Alarm (just put it on the Vista computer, getting rid (finally) of Windows Firewall). Using Avast for Virus protection.

Last edited: 2008/06/05
    deck,
  2. 2008/06/05
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Here are a few memory-joggers, in case you’ve overlooked them:

Are all the computers in the same workgroup?

As you are sharing Vista with an XP machine, you may need to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder on the XP machines http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Make sure in Control Panel > Classic View > Network and Sharing Center you have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing set to "˜On’ and, if you‘re not using passwords set Password Protected Sharing to "˜Off’, unless you want to set up identical usernames and passwords on all computers in your network. If you have it on, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer.

This is an easy way to share a Vista folder, right-click it > Share, type 'Everyone' (not the quotes), click Add and set the drop down Permission Level alongside Everyone to either Reader or Co-owner then click Share at the bottom. Two little people should appear under those that are shared. Alternatively, drag the folders you want to share to the Public folder.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/06/06
    deck

How do you turn passwords OFF? I can not find any way to do that... and I know that is / was my first problem.

After that, I'll try the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder thing if needed.

Currently, my Vista computer shows nothing being shared (just like a spoiled pre-schooler :rolleyes:). No problem there as I know how to fix that, except that also includes the public "shared" folder not being shared. :confused:

deck,
  5. 2008/06/06
    BurrWalnut

You're not turning any passwords off, you're just not using 'Password protected sharing' to access another computer. It's in Network and Sharing, near the bottom.

Last edited: 2008/06/06
  6. 2008/06/06
    deck

You MUST of heard the sound of my hand slapping my forehead, even "across the pond ". I'd done everything EXCEPT click on the Pasword Protection Sharing. I'd been staring right at it and couldn't see it. :eek:

Good thing I'm getting new eyeglasses later today. :)

Thank You. Everything works now. Blessings to you and yours....

deck,
  7. 2008/06/06
    BurrWalnut

Well done, I'm glad it's working.