1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox v.s internet explorer

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by jrod1057, 2008/02/09.

1. 2008/02/09
    jrod1057

jrod1057 Inactive Thread Starter

firefox will not connect but internet explorer will i have checked firewall settings and still no change can any one give any options?

2. 2008/02/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

jrod1057 - Welcome to the Board :)

I've moved your thread to the Netscape & Mozilla forum as it's a Firefox issue.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/09
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Well, it is not a Firefox issue, but rather a Microsoft issue, if you use a pc.
    You have to make sure that, you have these settings (I have WinXP-SP2).
    Start|Control Panel||Add/Remove|Set Programs Access and defaults (on left side of popup)|Custom| Make sure that access to Mozilla Firefox is allowed. If not, place the check mark. If you don't have Custom settings selected, and you look at what you have, there is no way to make the selection, from Microsoft or manufacturer settings. Non-Microsoft should remove access to Microsoft programs. I doubt you want that.

5. 2008/02/09
    eisneun

eisneun Well-Known Member

firewalls

when one browser will access the internet and another won't, it is almost always a firewall problem. you said you checked the firewall. what firewall are you using? did you recently update firefox to ver 2.0.0.12? did your firewall warn you that firefox had changed and was requesting access to the internet? did you grant it permission? if firefox is listed in your firewall permissions, it might be for the old version. you should close firefox, open your firewall permissions, remove firefox, start firefox, and grant it permission. see:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2295421#2295421

6. 2008/02/09
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

. -8 is more like it.

Is "socal" Southern California?

Levity aside, it would be good to know what kind of firewall is being used, but, the settings should be checked first, if Firefox was never used before.

7. 2008/02/11
    golfnut

golfnut Well-Known Member

What changes have you made recently?

I had the same thing happen to me after I had installed a 2nd OS and configured a dual boot system. In the new OS all worked fine but in the original OS on C: only IE would connect. I tried all manner of things to rectify it. In the end I had to reinstall the internet connection software provided by my ISP (in my case Sky) to correct it.

I'm not suggesting your problem is caused by the same thing but perhaps reinstalling that software will help. It can't do any harm.

Failing that if you have preinstalled recovery on your pc you could try a non destructive recovery.

8. 2008/02/11
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I hope that our friend will tell us what and if he did anything.
    I will summarize: 1. To access access and defaults in XP, at least, is very simple. In theory, at least, it should be possible to deny access to IE, and make Firefox default,
    2. Some Firewalls can be a problem, and require extra work to access some software. That's why I use Sygate. It comes up and asks me if I want to access a program. Zone Alarm can be a real nuisance. It makes you work.
    3. Dual boot can lead to problems, no doubt. I used to have a dual boot with Linux in another drive, and I had to give up.
    4. IE, being part of the OS will connect in almost every case, but other programs like Firefox which keep their data folder/file in hidden folders may be a problem.