1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

yahoo emails in inbox appear "empty"/blank when opened in FF

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by rebecca, 2006/12/21.

1. 2006/12/21
    rebecca Contributing Member

rebecca Well-Known Member Thread Starter

First off, I know it's not a Firefox glitch, per se, because when I'm logged on to the computer as "rebecca ", I can view my yahoo emails fine. When I'm logged on as the other user on this computer, however, though the emails appear in my inbox as they should, when I click on any one item to open it, the resulting email shows up blank (this holds true even when I run FF in safe mode; hotmail email shows up fine, btw - it's only yahoo that seems to be affected). The last time I looked at my yahoo mail when I was logged on as "Gary" was last month, and at that time, there was no problem - so the bug appeared some time during the last 3-4 weeks.
    I thought I could just try restoring one of the many backups I've got for Gary (okay, I know this is overkill, but what can I say? I obviously go overboard on the side of caution!): I've got the Bookmarks Backup extension (daily backups of the entire profile for the last week), FEBE (sporadic backups of the entire profile every couple of weeks dating back about 2 months), and BackupFox (again, sporadic backups of the entire profile dating back 2 months). I tried restoring to yesterday's profile using Ramona's instructions elsewhere in this forum, but that didn't solve the yahoo mail problem. I tried restoring to the oldest backup created by the Bookmarks Backup extension (i.e., a week ago), but that didn't fix the problem either.
    Interestingly, I think I've just discovered that neither FEBE nor BackupFox works for restoring profiles that are not in the default location. Both Gary's and my active profiles are on our "D:" partition - the default profiles are still located in their original spots (C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profile), but those have never been used. However, that seems to be where the FEBE and BackupFox restorations want to go. Does anyone know if there is there any way of changing this?
    And does anyone have any ideas about why yahoo email might be unreadable under one user, but okay under the other?
    Thanks!

2. 2006/12/21
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Rebecca,

I know nada about Yahoo Mail, but wondering if you and Gary are sharing a single account in Yahoo Mail? I'm hoping that someone using the Yahoo Mail Client will jump in here. I'll see if I can find anything on the Yahoo help site, if I can get in without joining the site.

Have you checked your profiles.ini file, to ensure that it is correct and pointing to both your profile, and Gary's? This file is located in the Thunderbird folder, and in your case most likely on the C:\ drive.

The "IsRelative=0" line should be there, and it refers to a custom profile location, for example: Path=D:\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\myprofile. You should have two entries, Rebecca, and Gary.

BTW, once you haved moved a profile from its default location, the original profile folder can be removed.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/22

I may have misled you by not specifying that it's online Yahoo mail that's the problem. I use Thunderbird for my Sympatico account only; Gary doesn't use TB at all.
    The yahoo mail account is mine - Gary only uses hotmail, so the issue is more of a curiosity to me than a true 'problem'. The fact that yahoo mail can't be seen online when I'm logged on as him just tells me that something is amiss with his profile somehow. He's not aware of anything not working for him, it's just me that would like to know that everything's "up to snuff ".

As far as our profiles, I don't think I actually changed the location of the defaults. I was following instructions of Christer's when I set up this computer; he recommended leaving the defaults where they were, and just not using them - then creating additional (active) profiles on our D:\ partition. I'd be more than happy to get rid of the default ones, but for some reason, it had seemed to me that Christer had specifically said to let them be.

Your point about the Paths for our profiles led me to do some scouting around, and here's what I found:

Our active profiles are located in D:\Gary\Mozilla\Firefox and D:\Rebecca\Mozilla\Firefox.

I'm attaching pictures of the C:\ paths (under Documents and Settings) for each of us. Now I'm totally confused about what's what! Why are our two "Profiles" folders so different? Is it of any significance?

5. 2006/12/22
    Ramona

Rebecca,

I was quoting the Mozilla Firefox KB Article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    Item 5.: "If you are moving a profile from its default location, the original profile folder can now be removed." However, if you prefer not deleting the Profiles on the C:\ drive that's certainly your prerogative.

Wow, Gary's Profile is totally messed up. I would remove the entire contents of the Firefox folder. Then create a new Profile, and start from scratch.

Your Profile path on C:\ is correct.

I'll let someone familiar with Yahoo give you some help or suggestions.

6. 2006/12/22

I think I'll take your advice on Gary's profile - delete the entire contents of his FF folder and create a new profile for him from scratch. I imagine that ought to take care of the yahoo mail problem too.
    Thanks for the advice!

7. 2006/12/22

Well, the Yahoo mail problem is apparently related to the "NoScript" extension. If I disable the extension, I can view the emails fine. But with it enabled, even with Yahoo on my "allowed" list, the emails consistently show up blank. I don't know why this only happens when I'm logged in under Gary, because he and I have the exact same extensions on board, and there's no conflict when I'm logged on as the user.
    Ramona, Gary's C:\ tree now looks just like mine - thanks for that suggestion!
    I've tried deleting his original "default" profile (the one on the C:\ partition), to see if I can get BackupFox and FEBE to restore backups for me now that the default profile no longer exists... or has the D:\ profile now become the default, even though it's actually named "Gary" (and not "default ")?
    Still confused, but making headway...

8. 2006/12/22
    Ramona

Rebecca,

The Profile on the D:\ drive is now Gary's Profile. Does the Profile Manager show default or Gary as the Profile name? Also have you pointed the profiles.ini file to the correct location?

9. 2006/12/24

Despite that bizarre "account tree" that originally showed up under Documents and Settings\Gary\etc., his 'active' profile has always been the one on the D:\ partition. I know that for a fact because that's the one I subsequently copied his old bookmarks from when I created his new profile. The contents of the original two default profile entries (actually, both the same one, just listed in two different places) were all dated 2/20/06, which was the date I most recently installed WinXP on the computer.
    This is how things look now:
    C:\ Documents and Settings\Gary\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
    Within the Firefox folder is an empty folder called "Profiles" (as I mentioned yesterday, I deleted the default one), and two files: pluginreg.dat and profiles.ini.
    Here's what profiles.ini shows:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=Gary
    IsRelative=0
    Path=D:\Gary\Mozilla\Firefox
    Default=1

[Profile1]
    Name=G restore backup
    IsRelative=0
    Path=D:\Gary\Mozilla\FF G to restore profile to

['Profile1' is something I created in order to have a profile to use for restoration purposes using the FEBE extension (since you can't restore to a current profile)]
    D:\Gary\Mozilla\Firefox is now his profile folder
    D:\Gary\Mozilla\Firefox is empty (haven't tried restoring anything to it yet)

The picture is slightly different under C:\ Documents and Settings\Rebecca\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\, in that I haven't deleted the original default folder (although it's never been used).
    My profiles.ini file is as follows:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/fibjo85p.default

[Profile1]
    Name=Rebecca
    IsRelative=0
    Path=D:\Rebecca\Mozilla\Firefox
    Default=1

Everything seems to be working fine with Gary's account after deleting the default profile, so can I assume it would be safe to delete the default profile under my own account?

10. 2006/12/27
    Ramona

Rebecca,

No problem deleting your Profile from the C:\ drive, but ONLY your Profile, and NOT the Firefox folder.

Once deleted, and you reboot, I believe that this portion of your profiles.ini file will be deleted, leaving only the D:\ drive location:

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/fibjo85p.default

Remember to do a backup before editing. Always a good practice... ;)

11. 2007/01/09

Just an update to report that as of yesterday, I can now view my Yahoo mail even when logged in as Gary! The only thing that I know I've changed under Gary's account is that I added the MR Tech Local Install extension to his profile, although I have no idea if that is what's specifically responsible for fixing the bug.
    In any case, the original problem is now gone. :)

12. 2007/01/09
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Mr Tech Local Install is a very valuable extention, when you will add some, otherwise, incompatible extentions, but, definitely not a cureall.

13. 2007/01/28
    beezer34

beezer34 Inactive

More specifically, the problem with Yahoo Mail and the NoScript extension is related to the following option on the NoScript Advanced Tab in the "Additional permissions for trusted sites" section, "Allow <a ping...> ", when that is checked Yahoo Mail works fine. I hope that helps.