1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Disable onboard sound in BIOS, OS Win XP

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by c5j, 2002/01/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/15
    c5j

c5j Guest Thread Starter

I would like to disable the onboard sound device on my Compaq 5660. I purchased a Philips 5.1 sound card and would like to use it on my system. When I contacted Philips Tech service they said I needed to disable the onboard sound through the BIOS setup. I have the home Win XP installed on the pc. Disabling the device through XP doesn't work. I need to disable the hardware setting.

Thanks in advance,

c5j

c5j,
  2. 2002/01/15
    Cliffh

Cliffh Inactive

You'll have to enter the CMOS (System) setup and find the setting to disable the onboard sound in there.

I can't remember right now which key Compaqs use to access the CMOS setup - it' either F1, F2 or F10 - press the key as the system is first starting up and the blinking cursor jumps from the upper left corner to the upper right corner of the screen.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/19
    JerryM

JerryM Inactive

What ComPaq told me

They gave instructions to me for eliminating the on board installed video then reinstalling a PCI video in Windows XP give me a shout, I am fairly certain it would be the same technique, I can e-mail it, or post, either way.

But it is also far more involved than what Cliffh says.
    In addition to Bios changes, you have to change within the Registry, ANd the Device manager. This is prior to booting with the actuall new item plugged in.

Last edited: 2002/01/19
  5. 2002/01/20
    shawbob

shawbob Inactive

i just installed a new video card in my compaq 5204. to get back into windows, i had to boot in safe mode, remove the on-board video from device manager, and reboot. it finds new hardware( the on-board video), but i cancel it. i could use the info you got from compaq. i found nothing in my manual about disabling on-board video. i don't care if you e-mail it to me, or post it. whatever you would like to do.
    bob

Last edited: 2002/01/20
  6. 2002/01/20
    JerryM

JerryM Inactive

Compaq Video Disable then Video Card Install

Suresh on 1/13/2002 answered:
    "To install a new video card, you have to first disable the onboard video. To disable the factory-installed component, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
    2. Select the Device Manager tab.
    3. Scroll to the desired device category like Display Adapters.
    4. Click the plus (+) sign to expand the list.
    5. Double-click the item.
    6. Select the "Disable in this Hardware Profile" option or deselect the "Exists in All Hardware Profiles" option.
    7. Click OK and then click OK again.
    8. Restart the computer.

WARNING: The steps to install the display adapter involve registry modifications. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause very serious, system-wide problems. Incorrect entries may cause installation problems or prevent the system from starting the computer. You may be required to reinstall the Operating System.

You will not be warned of incorrect entries while you edit the Registry to change values. Therefore, please take a full backup of the registry files, particularly user.dat, system.dat, and policy.pol. If you make any incorrect entries, the backed-up registry files can be used to replace the corrupted registry entries. To take a backup of the registry files, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and select Run.
    2. Type Regedit.
    3. Click REGISTRY on the menu bar and then click Export Registry.
    4. Give a destination file name (say Regbackup) and save it on to the desktop.

To install the display adapter, follow these steps:

1. Right click on the desktop, click Properties to view the display properties, and then click the Settings tab.
    2. Click the Advanced button and then click the Adapter tab.
    3. Click Change and change the adapter to a Standard VGA card. It does not matter if you do not select PCI.

NOTE: Do not restart the computer even if you are prompted.

4. Open Windows Explorer and go to the "C:\Windows\Inf\Other" directory.
    5. Delete all INF files relating to video cards.

NOTE: There may be other INF files for sound cards and other peripherals. Remove only the INF files related to video cards.

6. Go back to the "C:\Windows\Inf" folder. Delete the drvdata.bin and drvidx.bin files if they exist.
    7. Click the Start button, select Run, and type regedit.
    8. Click the plus (+) sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then the plus (+) sign beside Software folder.
    9. Look for folders referring to video cards like "3Dfx Interactive," "NVIDIA" and so on. The folder names will vary depending on the drivers and cards installed. However, the folders related to video cards can be easily identified.
    10. Delete the directories related to video cards.
    11. Restart the computer. The computer will redetect the video card.
    12. Cancel the request for drivers and load into 640x480x16 colors.
    13. Insert the CD that came with the video card to load the drivers and tools.
    14. Restart the computer when prompted and install the drivers from the CD.

This will install the display adapter in your computer. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.