1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Installing alongside Windows XP, and will my PC run it?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JPaterson000, 2006/09/14.

1. 2006/09/14
    JPaterson000

JPaterson000 Inactive Thread Starter

I'm currently downloading the new test version of Vista (RC1), and I have two quick and simple questions, one I can't seem to find on Microsoft's site.

Can I install Vista alongside Windows XP MCE?

Basically a dual-boot configuration. I'd like to test out Vista and see if it's something I'll buy when it comes out, but if it means it's going to overwrite my XP installation completely, I probably won't. Or, if not, is it possible to revert back to Windows XP without losing any of my data? I'd hate to have to reformat and reinstall everything.

Question the second: Windows Vista Advisor tells me my computer is okay and that Vista Home Premium would be best for me, and the only problem may be one of my printers (no drivers; check manufacturer). Based on my system stats below, will my PC be able to run Vista smoothly?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
    2.00GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    Hard Drive: Main Drive, 228GB capacity, 92.1GB free space
    _____ Secondary Drive (Windows XP installed on this drive), 4.37GB capacity, 2.31GB free space
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X700
    1 DVD-RW drive
    1 DVD-ROM drive

The only problem the Adviser gave me was if I want to record TV, I'd need a video card with an output, which I don't really care about. So, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: 2006/09/14
  2. 2006/09/14
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Trust the Advisor.

Two thoughts about Dual boot:

. Place vista on a second hard drive, or a second partition, from your MCE installation.

If necessary because you have only a "single" partition, "shrink" it to allow a at least 11gb and preferably a 30-40gb second partitiion to be added. (You cannot install with less than 11gb, but you can run with less afterwards).

I used Acronis Disk Director and Partition Manager to do this. You can use a full-featured trial: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirectorsuite/

. Use "VistaBootPro" if you ever change your mind. This is a freeware BCD editor for Vista and XP. http://www.vistabootpro.org/

You need to do this reversion prior to removing or formatting the Vista partition. See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;922809&sd=rss&spid=11734

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/14
    JPaterson000

JPaterson000 Inactive Thread Starter

My main drive is C: (91GB free), the WMCE is D: (2.31GB free). Using that disk partition program, I'd be able to take, say, 15 gigs from the C: drive, and create an M: drive to install Vista to?

Just a note, E and F are taken for CD/DVD drives, and G-L are taken as the Media Reader drives (SD, etc.)