1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unwanted Processes running

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CPFD Jim, 2006/07/31.

1. 2006/07/31
    CPFD Jim

CPFD Jim Inactive Thread Starter

I have about 55+/- processes running and I want to reduce this number. I was given a program in the past to use to view and manage these, but when my system crashed several months ago, I lost the program.

Additionally, how can I be sure i'm getting rid of processes I don't need and keeping the ones I do need. I don't want to crash this thing again.

2. 2006/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim

Couple of programs which will help you in this ....

Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel - this will install either to the All Programs menu or to the Control Panel - so if you don't see it at first look in the other location. This splits down those processes which start on boot into basically User and Windows and is fairly self explanatory as to what each process is.

The other is Autoruns which lists everything that autostarts at boot including all the Windows processes and hidden processes. More complex to use, so tread carefully.

Windows has it's own facility - msconfig ....

Start > Run > type in msconfig > Enter and go to the Start up tab
    Stick to those entries which relate to software installed on your computer ...

Entries like Adobe Reader Speed Launch, Update checks, etc.

If you disable a startup item and something doesn't work as expected - re-enable it, but leave any process you can't identify - or don't recognise well alone :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

CPFD Jim--The processes listed in msconfig|Startup tab are all third party (non-Microsoft) processes. WinXP requires very few of these to start at boot. For example, antivirus, antispyware, wireless peripheral-connected programs, firewall, etc. The following reference should help you decide which of these processes you should allow to run at startup and therefore keep the check in the box to the left.
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    (See what you think about keeping Adobe Reader Speed Launch checked. :) )
    If you uncheck any boxes in the Startup list, you will get a message on reboot. It is really not worth reading. Just uncheck the box at the bottom left and OK.

You can always start other processes only when you need them. And then close them when finished.

5. 2006/08/02
    lipsum1992

lipsum1992 Inactive

End it all is a good program when you want to get rid of processes that you dont need.

6. 2006/08/03
    CPFD Jim

CPFD Jim Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you for your assistance. :)