1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Computer Freezes Every 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bczubiak, 2006/02/08.

1. 2006/02/08
    bczubiak

bczubiak Inactive Thread Starter

This has been happending for a few weeks.

The computer runs fine except that every 30 seconds, the computer locks up for about 5 seconds and then continues to work.

Under Administrative tools, I clicked on the performance icon to bring up the program. I was monitoring the services loaded on my computer but found that none of the processes listed were causing the problem.

I can see on the graph that about every 30 seconds, the CPU jumps to 100% utilization for about 5 seconds and then resumes.

I thought it was my wireless keyboard and mouse but replaced them with a wired keyboard and mouse. I also disabled virus and spyware apps and all others from my system tray.

Any suggestions?

2. 2006/02/08
    HumBug

HumBug Well-Known Member

Have you added any hardware

If you have not added any hardware or made any changes to your bios settings etc I would feel you may be having a low memory problem.

You have not given any information on this side of things.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/08
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Load Task Manager.
    Click on "Processes" Tab.
    Click on "CPU" column. (Highest value on top).
    When the computer locks up for about 5 seconds,
    which running process is at top of list? (excluding System Idle Process)

5. 2006/02/09
    bczubiak

bczubiak Inactive Thread Starter

Now my computer is acting worse. If I move the mouse about 3 inches on the screen, it locks up for about 3 seconds. I have a gig of ram in this machine. I tried to go into task manager and see what service might be effecting my machine but when the computer locks up, task manager locks up as well and the process doesn't go to the top.

I switched from a wireless mouse and keyboard to a wired mouse and keyboard and have the same problem.

I'm going to run a disk check and defrag to see if that helps.

-Bob

6. 2006/02/09
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

better run chkdsk /r.