1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Shut down doesn't work with SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by howardh, 2008/06/29.

1. 2008/06/29
    howardh

howardh Inactive Thread Starter

I installed SP3 yesterday and immediately the PC will not shut down on command. I go through the "Start > Shut down > Shut down" sequence and the screen shows "Saving your settings ", then "Logging off ", then "Windows is shutting down ". The "shutting down" screen remains for at least an hour (the longest I've waited so far) and then I turn the power off by holding down the power button. On re-boot, there is no "Scanning for errors" message. The same happens if I try the "Restart" sequence - it hangs at "Shutting down ". If I try "Run > Shutdown -s ", the problem occurs also.

The event log shows no errors.

If the restart is initiated by a program (as it was at the end of installing SP3) the PC restarts as normal.

The problem has never occurred before I installed SP3>

2. 2008/06/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/07/02
    howardh

howardh Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Arie for this suggestion. I received several suggestions from Microsoft and by using `selective start up' I found that the shut down problem only occurred when InCD4 (the packet writing software from Nero) was running (even if only dormant, waiting for a formatted disk to be inserted).

I should have thought of InCD4 earlier, because I had an earlier problem with it conflicting with the "Zone Alarm" firewall. To resolve this, I changed to another firewall.

This is a pity, because InCD4 is the best packet writing software I have used. Do you have suggestions for other such software? The others I have tried are painfully slow compared to InCD4.

I have written to the Nero people asking if they have a solution.

5. 2008/07/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I've never used packet writing software, I wouldn't know for what you use it. I only burn whole CDs/DVDs ate a time.

Arie,
  6. 2008/07/03
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi howardh

It will likely work if you uninstall InCD clean it up and then reinstall it fresh!

No need to uninstall Nero just InCD.

After normal uninstall of InCD (do not run this tool first)...

Download http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Nero-Clean-Tool-Bundle.shtml

Run cleanup tool

Reboot

Run cleanup tool once more

Windows search for incd*.* (use advanced options to search for system hidden and subfolders) delete all found.

Use Ccleaner (Slim at bottom) http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds
    For a general temp and registry clean run both Temp and registry repeatedly until they come up clean.

Do a registry search for incd or get Regseeker and use "Find in registry" for incd and delete all found.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Then D/L the latest InCD from Ahead/Nero and reinstall.

Mike

Alicia J likes this.