1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Complete PC Backup fine, but can't USE it

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by AndynKrisN, 2008/06/10.

1. 2008/06/10
    AndynKrisN

AndynKrisN Inactive Thread Starter

I have Vista 32 Ultimate. I back up to an external drive and all works well. But when I tried to repair a harddrive mistake I made by replacing C: with the backup, it won't do so. The backup is useless.
    I followed instructions, restart... hit F8...got Advanced Boot Options page, BUT there is no "REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER" line listed, as the instructions claim.
    Can anyone suggest a fix ? Thank you.

Moderator note - email address removed to protect you from spam harvesters. All communication through posts on the BBS.

2. 2008/06/10
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

What back-up system method did you use? True Image, built in system back-up, or something else?

Roger:confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/06/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

He used Vista's backup.

Arie,
  5. 2008/06/11
    AndynKrisN

Vista 32 bit Ultimate backup

Correct. I used the built-in Vista Ultimate version "Complete PC Backup ". It backs up fine and it allows me to restore files with no problem. However, on the complete backup, the directions say I must boot in safe mode and in the Advanced Boot Options page, I should choose the " Repair Your Computer" option. There are 10 options, but none that fit that choice? I am stumped.
    Thanks for any input. Andy

6. 2008/06/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No, you have to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment. That is, you have to boot from the Vista DVD, and after choosing your language/keyboard settings choose Repair your computer.

Arie,
  7. 2008/06/11
    AndynKrisN

Success !!

Thanks a million, Arie. I booted using the Windows Vista DVD and sure enough, the " Repair" option was right there. I transfered my G: (external backup) drive to the C: and everything is well again. Love that backup option.
    About 2 months ago, I had to use a year old "ghost" disk furnished by the manufacturer to take me back to original. Whew, I had no idea how much changes in one year. Took me 2 full days to download drivers and updates and SP1 etc. And I learned a hard lesson... DO NOT delete files without first sending them to recycle bin. I've done it for years, but it only takes one oops to remind me to keep that safety switch turned on.
    Thanks for the great help. Andy