1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Domain member, but need access on home workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by WorldBuilder, 2008/05/16.

1. 2008/05/16
    WorldBuilder

WorldBuilder Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am an IT Manager, but am having trouble with this one... Probably simple. My work laptop is joined to our domain. But obviously, when I take it home, it is not able to see those resources. That's fine, but what I need is to be able to use workgroup resources at my home as well. For instance, I have a shared printer on one PC and I need to print to it. On my old laptop I could, but I'll be damned if I can recall how I did it.

I cannot manually connect or even see workgroup resources at home and I don't know why. I am getting a good DHCP address when plugging in at home and can access the web whether I am wireless or wired at home.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Chris

2. 2008/05/16
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Check the Routing and Remote Access service is enabled and running.
    You might also need to/try setting NetBios over TCP

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/16
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

5. 2008/05/16
    WorldBuilder

WorldBuilder Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I will check those things shortly and get back to you. I guess I could try IP address, but with DHCP that wouldn't be as accurate as I would like... Will let you know shortly!

Thanks,

Chris

6. 2008/05/17
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

You should be able to connect to other devices on your home network. They might not appear straightaway in network neighbourhood, but that should not stop you accessing them.

If you try to connect to your home PC with:

\\computer_name

Where computer_name is the name of the computer you are trying to connect to, what do you get? If nothing, try entering the IP address of the PC you are trying to get to after the double slashes.

7. 2008/05/20
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Haven't tried it but I wonder if it would help to make your home workgroup name match your work domain without the .com or .local ect.