1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

USB Thumb Drive Security

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by IvanH, 2008/05/07.

1. 2008/05/07
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Some USB Thumb Drives provide general security software for login and encryption features. But I need more ....

A few questions:

1. How does Windows Vista control the use of USB thumb drives?
    2. Besides enabling / disabling the use of a particular USB port, are there any additional features make Windows Vista better than Windows XP?
    3. Is there any fingerprint on USB thumb drive? Can the fingerprint be recognized/registered to a PC/User Account, so a USB thumb drive can only be used on permitted PC(s)/User(s)?
    4. Which brand/model of USB thumb drive has the information security features satisfy my questions above?

2. 2008/05/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/22
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What my needs include:

a USB thumb drive which can be uniquely identified (a universally unique device id, like a hard drive)
    an uniquely identifiable USB thumb drive which can register to and only accessible to/from a group or groups of computers and their user accounts according to Windows Vista group security policy and/or additional USB thumb drive security policy settings
    an uniquely identifiable USB thumb drive cannot be registered to and access to/from non-registered computers.
    a software to be installed on Windows Vista which disables all USB thumb drive except those uniquely identified and registered. The software should provide audit trace/log.

Can any USB thumb drive do it?