1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

NAV upgrade to 2008 and ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Budo, 2008/04/30.

1. 2008/04/30
    Budo

Budo Inactive Thread Starter

Just downloaded NAV2008 (upgrade version from 2006) and prior to installation I got the message that my ZoneAlarm (free version) would interfere with my NAV installation so being the cautious person that I am I unstalled ZA. Installation of NAV is complete and running. It has a built in firewall so it tells me. My question now is could I reinstall ZA since NAV is now installed ?Anyone had any problems with this ?
    Budo

Budo,
  2. 2008/04/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/04/30
    Budo

Pete - Thanks for the headsup. I thought the firewall was included. Decided to try COMODO this time. Hopeing no conflicts with NAV.
    Budo

Budo,
  5. 2008/05/01
    Budo

Update on last
    Downloaded Comodo and installed. It created problems with my internet not allowing a connection and after fairly long session with Verizon tech (very knowledgable) he could not restore my internet connection and after I told him about new firewall (Comodo) he said to try unstalling the firewall. That was the answer to problem.
    Guess Trying ZoneAlarm again won't hurt although Symantec tech support said it might couse problems.
    Budo

Budo,
  6. 2008/05/01
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

I am with Pete I think it is hard to find a better Firewall free or pay than Comodo.

I doubt it was really Comodo that was the problem.

Likely remaining ZoneAlarm that did not remove. Nahhh really!:rolleyes:

Your bought Norton (my condolences) so you are stuck with it, but you can finish removing the ZA!

Highlight and copy all text between the lines but not the lines
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zonelabs; "zone labs "; "Internet logs "; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*

Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. Open Windows Explorer. Depending on your OS click Tools or View and then Folder Options > View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files and click OK.

Next
    Start-Search-Files and Folders. In location set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives.

Select Advanced Search Options and set to search subfolders and hidden files.

Now paste the Copied lines from above into the search box and click Search Now.

Delete all it finds! Empty Recycle bin.

Next:
    To remove all ZoneLabs keys left in the Windows registry.

Highlight and copy for pasting, the below (between the lines)
    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]

Paste the lines into Notepad.
    Save as removeza.reg.
    Once saved double click it and allow accept the prompts for changes to be made.

Now REBOOT.

Back to desktop Download CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim

Install and run it, clean temps and registry run both multiple times until no more found.

Now you are clean of ZA for whatever Firewall you choose!

Mike

7. 2008/05/01
    Budo

Hi Mflyn
    Really appreciate your input. Although I still blame problem on COMODO-not trying to be disagreeable :) however once I uninstalled COMODO my internet connection came back and I had not done anything further than the "add & remove" step to uninstall ZA so any remaining portions of it were still on PC.
    Have since done a lot of searching on bulletin boards problems with NAV and some firewalls and several times I saw it mentioned that when using the ZA and NAV one should turn off the "Internet worm protection" feature of the NAV then you can use the two together so for now I'm going to reinstall ZA, turn off worm protection and see if I get them to work.
    Tks again for your input
    Budo

Budo,
  8. 2008/05/07
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

I just thought I would comment here as there is appearing on the WWW lots of problems with AVG 2008.

Avira, Avast and AVG are all good and what I normally recommend.

But based on the issues with AVG 2008 I am holding back for a while as I think they will correct these issues soon.

I have an oportunity by managing 700+ computers in 55 Networks (therefor 55 servers mix of 2000 and 2003) to test over a period of time different virus scanners.

One that has impressed me and it even runs on servers is Comodo AntiVirus. I advise turning off the HIPS.

Good protection and low processor impact!

Same for Comodo Firewall!

Mike

PS BUDO ZA or Norton or combination of both. Not Comodo!:)

9. 2008/05/07
    Budo

Update
    After I turned off "Internet worm protection" in NAV, ZA and NAV are both running together with no problems. Am also using Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster. To me NAV 2008 doesn't seem as much as a resource hog as the 2006 version. I have used Norton for so long with pretty much a compatable relationship I am reluctant to change however if I ever did I think I might go to Avast. My daughter now uses it and seems to be happy with it.
    Budo

Budo,