1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Limit on Network connections

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by gengis, 2008/03/18.

1. 2008/03/18
    gengis

gengis Inactive Thread Starter

Can someone please confirm the limits on XP network connections.

As I understand it, there can be any number of PC's in a XP network but there are limits as to the number that can concurrently access a single resource. Correct?

Maximum of XPHome 5

Maximum XP Pro 10

But does this mean that an XP Home PC can share it's resources (mapped drive, Printer etc) with an additional 5 XP Home PC's or just 4?

And does it mean that an XP Pro PC can share it's resources with an additional 10 (or 9) PC's either XP Home or Pro?

What I'm trying to do is have a single PC XP Pro with ten additional PC's linking to it, these can be Pro or Home so I'm open to advice. I'm trying to avoid the expense of Server software so any advice would be helpful.

2. 2008/03/18
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

The limits are concurrent connections. So in reality, you may be able to support file sharing for more then 10 users, as long as they don't all connect at the same time.

It might be easier to invest in a NAS (Network Attached Storage - basically an external hard drive with a network connection), if all you want is file sharing. As you're UK based, have a look at this Dabs page for an idea of range of such devices available.

However, personally I'd alway put a server into a network of 10 users. Peer-to-peer networking with that many users is hard work, and a server makes it a lot easier to manage. A small server isn't that expensive. Have a look at this example, I've found via a quick web search. However, money invested in a decent server is never wasted in my opinion, so I'd recommend you aim your sights a little high and invest in a solution with at least RAID 1 hard drives and a tape backup. In a year's time you'll look back and be thankful you made that investment.

Oh! and I'd also upgrade those XP Home PCs to XP Pro. XP Home is pants when it comes to networking.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/03/18
    gengis

gengis Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks fro the advice ReggieB. I hadn't realised Servers were available at such reasonable prices including the software. I'm working to a very tight budget and your suggestion may well fit the bill.

Regards G