1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Automate New Users - 1000+ Students

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by DesprateTeacher, 2008/03/10.

1. 2008/03/10
    DesprateTeacher

DesprateTeacher Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm a teacher at a high school and have been asked to change the way the students log into the student fileserver*. Students used to log in by class and were given a class folder to keep all their work. This has caused a lot of cheating and sabotage.

My boss suggested each student sign in under their student ID number to help this problem. I’m not sure how to do this quickly, but have been given a month to figure it out or do it manually.

Do I have to sit at the fileserver and type all 1013 student numbers, give permissions, and create a unique folder for each student? (Please say no)

Can I instead have the students log in under some sort of temporary account that allows them to setup their own username and password, which will then create their own personal folder? (Please say yes)

Or is there some sort of command based script where I can take the numbers in text format and import them? (I’ve read this is possible with Server 2003.)

At the start of each school year we will need to put in another 300+ student names, so this can't be a one time fix, but an annual procedure.

We have the student’s numbers in Excel if this can be of any help.

We’re adding over 1000 usernames and folders, is there any limit to Windows 2000 server that I should be aware of?

When you post back, PLEASE type in laymen’s English! I do not know computer acronyms or lingo. I will need descriptive instructions to be successful.

-------------------------------------------------
    * Windows 2000 Server + Service Pack 4
    40 student computers with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
    -------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your time.
    Desperate Teacher

Last edited: 2008/03/10
  2. 2008/03/12
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

You can use a script to achieve what you want. However, that script will need to be customised for your configuration. One of the best texts I've seen for guidance on scripting for this soft of thing is:

Active Directory Cookbook, by Allen and Hunter. There is an initial chapter to get you started and then chapter 6 is all about manipulating user accounts. One thing I particularly like about this books is that where possible it shows you how to do things both via the normal user interface and via scripting.

3. to hide this advert.