1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Which Anti-Virus software do you use?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Arie, 2008/01/26.

?

Which Anti-Virus software do you use?

Poll closed 2008/02/29.
  1. AVG Anti-Virus

39.0%
  2. Avast!

8.5%
  3. BitDefender

4.9%
  4. CA eTrust AntiVirus

6.1%
  5. Eset Nod32

7.3%
  6. F-Prot AntiVirus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. F-Secure Anti-Virus

1.2%
  8. Kaspersky Anti-Virus

6.1%
  9. McAfee VirusScan

4.9%
  10. Norton AntiVirus

20.7%
  11. Panda Titanium Antivirus

3.7%
  12. Sophos Anti-Virus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sybari Antigen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Trend Micro AntiVirus

3.7%
  15. Windows Live OneCare

3.7%
  16. Other

9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2008/01/26
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Which Anti-Virus software do you use? I've listed a whole bunch, but there may be others. Add your comments & suggestions!

Arie,
  2. 2008/01/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Something weird about this poll - 2 of us have voted for 3 different AV's and each has 50% of the poll :confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/01/26
    James

James Inactive

Yeah, I'm with Pete. Right now... four have voted and there is one vote in each of four different AV's and there are sixteen in total. So how does that translated into 33.3% for each?

Anyway... the AV I use (F-Secure) is actually part of the F-Secure Security Suite so I'm assuming that this is fine. Right?

5. 2008/01/26
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

I am using the newest version of Panda. Instead of Titanium it is now known as Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2008.

6. 2008/01/26
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

AVG Free here. Decided last year I didn't need to pay for protection cuz I'm just not likely to ever get infected due to my disciplined surfing habits, email protocols and overall knowledge on how to avoid virus related infections.

7. 2008/01/26
    Arie

Easy: The percentage translate to the number of voters. Since you can select more than 1, that's how it looks 'funny'.

Arie,
  8. 2008/01/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hmm - would be truer to life if the percentages referenced the number of votes

9. 2008/01/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Probably no need to even say what I'm using ..... 5 yrs and couldn't drag me away from it :cool:

10. 2008/01/26
    rolest

rolest Inactive

Best antiVirus AntiTrojan Software

I have been using Spy Sweeper AntiVirus, AntiTrojan software for years. I have a business fixing computers and networking and have been in business since 1999. I have had to take out Nortons many times because it dose not block the "bad guys ". Also Nortons has some sort of an idea that the firewall built in with Windows is no good, so it replaces it with its own. If you have Nortons, and download Spy Sweeper, I would image that you probably have at least one or two trojans that Spy Sweeper will find.

The free ones are OK, but they don't work well and most don't run in the background. AVG is probably the best of the free ones.
    Spy Sweeper has a very small footprint and I use it many times a week to clean out computers.
    It is not free, but it is less expensive than the name brands.
    rolest

11. 2008/01/26
    Bob Schuchman

Bob Schuchman Inactive

For years I used Norton Anti-Virus (NAV). I was acquainted with Peter Norton and liked what he did before he sold to Symantec.

Symantec followed the Norton heritage for a while, but eventually lost touch in order to maximize profits. I finally gave up after several wars with me pitted against the un-installation of their software. The last straw was having to uninstall WinFax [which they bought from Delrina and eventually stopped updating] after carefully saving my WinFax data, in order to uninstall Norton System Works and NAV. And it took careful combing of the Registry to complete the uninstall. Then I was able to re-install WinFax and put my data back.

When looking for a good - not cheap - replacement, I came across a review of "the best" AV programs which put Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) at the top of the list. I started with a low cost - after rebate - KAV6 and got a free update to KAV7. I've been very happy with their automatic updates and find that their whole system works very well for me.

I'll be interested to see how many more KAV users show up here.

12. 2008/01/26
    fastjohn87

fastjohn87 Inactive

I've been using Norton AntiVirus, actually Norton Internet Security, and it seems ok, but it doesn't detects all problems, as I try some online scanners, which I scan Microsoft free online scanner, and it detects some problems and fix them.

I've used Kaspersky Anti-Virus once, and it was good, but will be trying the Kaspersky Internet Security in the future.
    It has loads of updates and scans every file you use on your computer.

13. 2008/01/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I got rid of NIS 2007 as it was hogging too much of PC resources. I'm now running AVG 7.5 and Comodo F/W and SpyBot SD and WD. So far so good.:)

14. 2008/01/27
    Arie

Unfortunately that's how the software works.

15. 2008/01/27
    Arie

I still have my Delrina WinFax Pro 4.0 3.5" disks :)

That was such a good program for that time!

16. 2008/01/27
    Baldy

Baldy Inactive

Which Anti-Virus

Haven't found the perfect one yet. Tried Norton and like to have never got rid of it (a real resourse hog), tried McAffee and it conflicted with some or a program, used F-Prot and it seemed OK, but was lacking something, tried AVG but I think it would config the way I wanted or was lacking something. Now I'm using Bit Defender because of it price on 2 computers for 2 years. It was fine till after an update that caused it to show all password protected files as problems and also shows 8 bad threats that it doesn't fix or tell me how to fix them. Contacted support and they gave me file to remove that was not in my system. It also takes all day to do a complete scan. Don't know if I'll stay with it for the duration or not.

Thankful for all the things I don't get that I don't want.
    Baldy

17. 2008/01/28
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Noooooo, it doesn't look funny ... :eek: ... it looks and is false!

I'm not a programmer but I think it would be a matter of minutes to re-write the code ... :confused: ... to get the correct percentage.

Christer

18. 2008/01/28
    Steve Coles

Steve Coles Well-Known Member

To get back to the poll topic, I used Norton for years but took it off my XP laptop a couple years or so back and replaced it with the ZoneAlarm suite (which, I believe, uses Kapersky). The switch seemed to speed up the m/c (only subjective) but it seems to work well on that laptop (now used by my wife).

For my current Vista beast, one of the first tasks was to remove the pre-installed Norton suite and, following a review of online reviews, put on NOD32. I like a scanner that's unobtrusive and NOD32, so far, has been the best at that (of course, that could also mean it's doing nothing :eek:).

19. 2008/01/28
    James

James Inactive

I will say this in defence of Norton (even though I no longer use it at home). Our company computers run on Norton and quite frankly they run smoothly and quickly without a hitch. It seems to me we all enjoy bashing Norton just as we all seem to enjoy bashing Internet Explorer and Microsoft. Just my observation mind you. Carry on.

20. 2008/01/30
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

All of our home computers (3) use AVG Free. I discontinued NIS at version 2003. I was not having any problems, the suite was getting top heavy. In defense of the popular suites, they have a place. One stop shopping has some advantages. I also noticed with NIS, when installed on a new, clean machine it behaved with acceptable performance. As for corporate environments, having IT fix-it, coupled with Admin controlling program install(s) to surfing rights dramatically reduces the chaos some computing souls throw at a computer.

21. 2008/02/04
    Pop.Gunna

Pop.Gunna Inactive

I started with Kaspersky when it was a virtual unknown but, I don’t want to praise it too much, they’ll put the price up. Probably the main reason for AOL’s dismissal of AVS. Big mistake AOL, so what’s new?

It’s always been my belief that KAV-KIS have had no excuse not to have a most refined and sophisticated answer to PC security while they reside smack dab in the middle of the worlds most concentrated and active maladjusted slyware enthusiasts.

One extreme to the other.

Bang! :eek: