1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Windows Vista Disk Defragmenter Vs. 3rd Party Defragmenters!

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Evan Omo, 2008/01/25.

1. 2008/01/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hi all. I have been using the Windows Vista Defragmenter a lot lately to improve my computers performance. The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't tell you how badly your disks are fragmented and whether they need to be defragmented at all. There are also no reports you can look up after the program has finished. To be honest I like the Windows XP Defragmenter a lot more than the Vista version. My question is this. Have you guys ever tried the program called Auslogics Disk Defragmenter? Is it better than the Vista Defragmenter? Are there any problems with it? Here is the link to their site http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag I'm just curious on what your guys opinions are. Thanks for the feedback. :)

2. 2008/01/26
    MilesAhead

MilesAhead Inactive

Auslogics has been good for me

Hi. I've been using Auslogics free defragmenter on both my XP machine and Vista Home Premium machine for about 5 or 6 months now with no harmful effects that I can detect. Since XP they incorporated "defrag APIs" into Windows and most 3rd party defrag programs use them. afa the defrag that comes with Vista if you open a command prompt with admin privilege and type
    defrag /? you'll get the options.

For analysis only of drive C: you would do
    defrag c: -a

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/01/26
    Evan Omo

Thanks MilesAhead. I will download the program and try it out. I appreciate you giving me the commands for defrag using command prompt. :)

5. 2008/01/26
    WytnoiZ

WytnoiZ Inactive

Defraggers.

I have used Raxco's PerfectDisk for years and wouldn't compute without it. It's not free, but gives you exceptional control over the defrag process - I'm kind of a geek that way.

:rolleyes:

6. 2008/01/26
    Kevin523

Kevin523 Inactive

I'll be honest, I don't think Auslogic Disk Defragmenter is the best one out there. From what I understand it does a quick defragmentation of files and hardly any optimization techniques. Others such as perfectdisk will use optimization techniques which are extremly customizable.

I used to use PerfectDisk myself, but have now moved on to a program called JKDefrag. It can be found at www.kessels.com/defrag

This is a free, open source program that not only defrags but uses many customizable optimization methods (such as sort files and folders in alphabetical order, put most frequently used files first, etc etc). Or you can just double click the jkdefrag.exe file and get a great defrag and optimization level (this is the recommended for most users).

I just couldn't see paying for a defrag program when JKDefrag was out there doing a great job.

BTW, I have heard that perfectdisk now has an expiring license? Is this true? Does one have to renew the license every year now?

I actually have perfect disk 2000 (v4), PerfectDisk 6, and 7, all which I can still use.

Does anyone know if PerfectDisk 7 works on Vista? I know it wasn't designed to work on it, but I'm curious. Especially since perfectdisk 4 can still work just fine on XP.

7. 2008/01/27
    WytnoiZ

WytnoiZ Inactive

Perfectdisk.

Hi Kev...

I'm pretty sure that the Perfectdisk license does NOT expire yearly. You can get minor upgrades for the version you buy, and get a pretty big discount for a major version upgrade.

I think that v7 is not Vista compatible, but I'm not sure. Version 8 is.

Does the JKdefrag program defrag system files (pagefile, metadata, etc)? That's a great feature of PD.

Raxco has a great PD blog on their site where you can find out anything you need to know: www.raxco.com

Ed

8. 2008/01/28
    sixaxxis

sixaxxis Inactive

Diskeeper

I am currently using Diskeeper 2008 Pro on my Vista HP laptop and it works like a charm. None of the ambiguity of Vista's defrag, instead it's fast, shows the results graphically and clearly, and is very stable. You can check out the free evaluation versions at the diskeeper site if you are so inclined.

9. 2008/01/28
    Evan Omo

Thanks everyone for your suggesstions on different defragmentation programs. I will try these programs out and see which one I like the best. Thanks again! :D

10. 2008/02/09
    MerleOne

MerleOne Inactive

I strongly advise you to look at an excellent product ; Puran Defrag 4.5, from Puran Software, an Indian Company.

http://www.puransoftware.com/

It got great reviews, and even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive products, it does an excellent job : defrag is pretty quick and effect is really visible after defrag. It relies on Microsoft API but adds several optimisation routines which are pretty efficient, IMHO.