1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Frequently losing my Wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by schneider51, 2008/01/16.

1. 2008/01/16
    schneider51

schneider51 Inactive Thread Starter

Hey everyone, about a day ago, my wireless internet started acting kind of weird and crappy. No problems before about 12 hours ago.

What happens is I have very low connectivity, then I will try repairing the connection, this usually takes 4-5 tries until it connects, after it connects the connection will be slow, it will work, sometimes it will work great, however it's never for more than 20 minutes.

Sometimes it will also just disconnect and then I have to go through the regular old repair, connect, repair, connect, whatever routine until it connects again. I have completely unplugged everything with it and reset it, this doesn't help.

I have run, Ad-aware SE, AVG Anti-Spyware, Super Anti-Spyware, as well as Spybot. The problem still persists.

All help appreciated. :)

2. 2008/01/18
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Is it the wireless connection that is failing, or the internet connection? If wireless, does the extent of the problem depend on how far you are from the router?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/01/18
    schneider51

I actually think it's the wireless connection on my Laptop. My distance from my router hasn't changed. The internet was great yesterday, today it's kinda sketchy again.

5. 2008/01/19
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Here are a couple of things to try :-

1. Changing the channel number in the router settings sometimes helps. Change it up/down by a factor of 6, i.e. if it is currently 11 make it 5.

2. On the computer(s) try typing the WEP/WPA key in hexadecimal rather than as ASCII characters.

6. 2008/01/20
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

BurrWalnut's advice is fine. I would add:

If this is a signal problem, it would have to be very severe to stop the system working if the laptop and the router are in the same room. So try using the laptop close to the router for a while and see if the problem persists.

If you don't have a problem when you're in the same room, then signal problems are the most likely cause and following BurrWalnut's guidance would be a good site. You could also look at moving the router to another location to try and improve the signal path to your chosen place where you want to use you laptop.

However, if the problem persists when you're in the same room, then we'll need to look at a cause elsewhere I think.

7. 2008/01/21
    schneider51

Awesome, now how do I go about doing both of those? :)

8. 2008/01/21
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

First thing to try would be changing the wireless channel. If you can tell us the make and model of your router, we should be able to tell you how to go about changing that setting.

9. 2008/01/23
    schneider51

10. 2008/01/26
    snookie28

snookie28 Inactive

Re: Wireless not working

:rolleyes:I also have a wireless laptop. I had the same problem for awhile. I bought a good router booster and put It half way In the house between the router and my laptop. I have found that my cordless telephone Interferes with my signal at times. When I move the phone ( pick It up and talk )this happens sometimes. You may want to check how close your portable phone Is to your wireless.
    Hope this helps.
    Snookie

11. 2008/01/27
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive

dont see what wireless router you are using but if linksys wrt54g its a piece of junk. try the wrt54gl or wrt54gs. both work great with maybe a lost signal once every couple months.

12. 2008/01/27
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Schneider51

As per the User Manual link you posted :-

Enter 192.168.100.1 into the Address box of a browser page. Now type user for both the User Name and Password (page 28). Now see page 34 to change the channel number.

13. 2008/01/30
    visionof

visionof Inactive

change the channel
    you most likely have a rogue signal drifting in
    you may not even spot it
    Change the channel
    first picks are 1 and 11
    Make sure the ssid is not set to defaults
    Even if you only add a digit
    Make sure that the router is high and uncluttred

14. 2008/02/08
    dnpeters

dnpeters Inactive

I'll echo the phone problem. My router broadcasts on 2.4 GHz, which is the same frequency as some wireless phones. Changing the phone to a model that uses the 5.8 GHz band solved the problem. Good luck. - Dave

15. 2008/02/09
    pmsik

pmsik Inactive

I know these problems too well.
    Loosing internet (not local) connection on my wired PC (although downloading often continues!) or on my router connected wireless laptop.
    Only endlessly disconnecting and connecting again in the network window can improve things. Sometimes switching off and on the connection driver did the trick.
    I run a Speedtouch 780i with firmware 6.1.9.6 on Vista systems.
    After reading what you guys had to say, I changed a few options: I set my channel on manual and on 1 (was 6 auto matically) and I changed the protocol from b/g into g. I also allow now multicast not exactly knowing what that can do for me.
    Hope I have the luck on my side.

Last edited: 2008/02/10