1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Improving WiFi (wireless) reception at home

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by LarryB, 2008/01/02.

1. 2008/01/02
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I live in an 1920's era 2 story Spanish style home. So, the walls are plastered including metal screen and redwood lath... signal suckers, to say the least.

Due to the way the house is built, my Linksys WRT54GS Wi-Fi G router (which already has the second standard antenna added) is towards the back of the house, downstairs. Now that my son has gotten a Playstation 3, he would like to participate in the online multi-player option (no, not Poker... I hope :eek:). He is upstairs about halfway through the house... about 45 ft and many walls and a floor from the router. We picked up a Belkin gaming access point but the received signal is just too weak and intermittent. So, I have been searching for ways to improve reception. Here follows my research and the general consensus.

1. Repeaters- notoriously worthless.... maybe a 5 db improvement and $$
    2. Hi-Gain Antennae- Helps horizontally only at the expense of vertical reach.... and we are vertically challenged, as well.
    3. Homemade dish for the access pt- Haven't tried that yet! (Pie tins, metal buckets, any metallic parabolic jetsom)
    4. Going to Pre-N technology. $$
    5. Going to SRX technology. $$ (maybe a used one on ebay?)
    6. Repositioning the router to a more central location- major headache factor
    7. Since the PS3 must use its LAN jack for network access, only an access point or router can be used. No creative plans using a USB Wireless Adapter would work. :(

Right now, rewiring looks to be the best bet. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks, as always, and Happy New Year, Lar

Last edited: 2008/01/02
  2. 2008/01/03
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Depending on the WRT54G version, you do have some options.
    Version 5 & version 6 of that router were changed by Cisco and have half the original ram and cache. They are essentially junk unless you are next to the AP.

Other versions of that router can be upgraded with 3rd party firmware that turns that 50 dollar router into a 600 dollar net appliance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

other options:
    0. Change the AP to use channel 1 or channel 11. (priority, reduces interference from other radio waves)
    1. Linksys sells range expanders that work well with the WRT54G.
    2. Use a better OMNI antenna, at least 7.5 dB.
    3. Centralize the AP. (best solution for wifi)
    4. 80211n won't help much because the obstacles are walls, floors, etc.
    5. run a cat5 from the router port 4 to a switch upstairs to expand the lan. Use the switch for additional comps or APs.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/01/03
    LarryB

Hi Tony, thanks for the info. Let me peruse in public....

I have version 1, so that's good. The linux hack is interesting. I found some articles on it but none demonstrate additional power, just more complex enterprise features. Your thoughts?

0. I will try the channel change to 1 or 11.
    1. Range Expander has had good reports? I would have to buy one that was returnable.
    2. Suggestion on a better omni antenna?
    3. No can do.
    4. So, neither Pre-N or SRX would be of much benefit?
    5. Would adding an AP upstairs be better than a repeater?

Thanks again, Lar

Last edited: 2008/01/03
  5. 2008/01/03
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Best is to run a cat5 from the #4 wrt54g port upstairs to an AP. Setup the AP first, using a wired computer on the lan. Assign it a static ip address via it's web interface and give iy a unique ssid. If the wrt54g = 192.168.1.1 then setup the upstairs AP as 192.168.1.2 w/ a ssid like "2ndfloor ". You would now have 2 different APs (2 choices) to connect to on your lan. If use a switch upstairs, and plug the AP into it, you will have some extra wired ports available upstairs, which can come in handy down the line. You can have 253 total clients/ip addresses running out through the wrt54g.

Last edited: 2008/01/03
  6. 2008/01/04
    LarryB

Hi Tony,

I can see the logic of going with the AP or Switch/AP route. However, cabling is a total nightmare. So, I 'll try the expander route first.

I just got a great deal at OfficeMax for $60.00 + tx.

Thanks again! Lar

7. 2008/01/04
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

You could try the home plugs.
    Basically making a wired bridge with your existing electrical.

Belkin and others make them.

8. 2008/01/04
    LarryB

Hi Scott, there is that and HPNA. Have you heard much about the transmission quality of either of these technologies? I don't know anything about them (yet).

Thanks, Larry

9. 2008/01/04
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

They work fine if both plugs are on the same bus bar at the breaker box.

Basically a service feed comming into the home is 240 volts. (two 120 volt legs)

Half of the home is on one leg and the other half of the home is on the other. You have a 50/50 shot at it. :)

10. 2008/01/06
    LarryB

Makes total sense. Thanks.

Can someone please comment on the firmware upgrades for the earlier WRT54GS models? Was my statement correct that the Linux upgrades appear to greatly enhance features but do not improve the raw wireless performance of these routers?

11. 2008/01/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You can adjuct the signal strength w/ some 3rd party firmware. But realize that it may be illegal or dangerous to do so. The FCC has limititations in place for these 80211 appliances. There's not much you can do to nexpand the range of any single device w/ the way your home is constructed, except add additional hardware.

Consider running the wire on the outside of the house, you could even use pvc conduit. I lived in my last house for 5 years w/ two 50' cat5 runs that went out through the wall next to a window and up the corner of the house. then through the exterior wall in 2 bedrooms. The cat5 was exposed to rain, snow, ice, sap and never degraded. I use those same cables in the house I live in now!

12. 2008/01/06
    LarryB

I guess that microwaving my family is not a good idea.

I'll first give the expander a shot, then go from there. Thanks for the info.

Larry

13. 2008/01/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Good idea. A too high signal can result in headaches.

14. 2008/01/06
    LarryB

Hey, I now can't remember where I left my keys half the time. Last thing I need is tbe sitting on a bus bench reminscing about what my mamma used to say about a "box o' chocolates "!! :)

15. 2008/01/16
    visionof

visionof Inactive

in terms of the 3rd party Linksys firmware just to stress - one of the big advantages of these is the ability to boost power Big Time
    default is 28 mw used to be the range in the 3prty was 28 - 250 mw
    Checking now i have talisman ( Sveasoft) basic free version 1
    The default is 50 mw max 1000
    Another popular 3rd party firmware is ddwrt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#Third-party_firmware_projects

You will invalidate your Linksys warranty. However these 3rd party firmware are commonly used by enthusiasts routinely with little problems.
    There were a number of discussions in the google wifi forums asking if anyone had run the routers at 250 mw for long periods without additional fans
    It was recommended against for long periods
    My son ran a Microsoft G game adapter to transfer files to mod xboxes ( orig not 360)
    Distance of about 30 feet
    He stated that with higher power there was much faster throughput speeds.
    My experience is that you get greater speeds .
    However it is not a straight line relationship
    I just came back from a roadtrrip
    The wi fi reception in hotels differs greatly
    What the better ones do is wire remote access points along the way
    Linksys now sells some more expensive product to do that
    You could do the same by using another router , turn off the dhcp
    The cable would come from a lan port of the main router , to a lan port of the router number 2 ( with dhcp off).
    Same ssid , different channel
    Overall if you can run a cable for the psp that is always a wiser choice than wireless

16. 2008/01/17
    visionof

visionof Inactive

Powerline adapter as a fast alternative to wifi or stringing ethernet cable

One very fast alternative to wi fi or if it is hard / expensive to string ethernet cable are powerline adapters
    The newer ones seem to be self contained and do not need drivers in a pc to be installed
    Use the ac wiring in your home to transmit internet very fast
    The older ones needed drivers in a running pc
    The newer ones can function as stand alone units

17. 2008/01/22
    LarryB

Thanks for the input. I am a little concerned health-wise to exceed the factory output by much. I hope to have the range extender installed in a few days and I will then know if another step is needed.

Regarding powerline adapters, that is another option that I know zip about. It obviously works.

Thanks, Larry