1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Asked to allow clipboard access when opening email]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by colinito, 2007/12/07.

1. 2007/12/07
    colinito

colinito Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I am using Windows XP Professional + SP2

I open an e-mail in Hotmail. In the e-mail is a link to a site which I have linked / clicked to quite often.

Now, when I click the link, a notice comes up with "Windows" at the top and the words - " do you want windows to allow you to paste information from your clipboard" with a Yes and a No option.

No matter whether I click the yes, no or the little white cross in the red background at the top right corner, nothing happens and the computer is frozen. I have to use the Windows Task Master to end the page task, which loses me the site!

I have looked under the advanced tab in internet options but can not find a heading referring to this option and / or how to stop it.

(The option of not clicking on the link - is not an option!)

Any assistance would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance,

Colinito

2. 2007/12/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/12/07
    thornsoft

thornsoft Inactive

I know what it is...

Colinto,
    Your e-mail is opening a page that has some evil javascript. Since you're using web-based e-mail, this is entirely possible. It's the same as visiting a web page with the clipboard javascript exploit. I have an explanation of this, plus links to some technical discussions and examples, at my ClipBoardExtender blog.
    http://www.clipboardextender.com/general-clipboard-use/internet-explorer-asks-do-you-want-to-allow-this-webpage-to-access-your-clipboard
    I'll update that blog entry with a link back here, and a note about how it's spreading into e-mail. It's an interesting, but disturbing development! :(
    --
    Chris

5. 2007/12/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

From a PM ....

Hello PeteC,
    many thanks for bothering to answer my question! I have checked out all the linmks that you provided and they appear to be very helpful. I don't understand much, but I have gained this much -
    Firstly, I don't have IE7, so I presume that is why the option about IE7 does not appear.
    I checked out the Java (it took ages to discover how to get the details!, I copy them here for you, if they have any use then I would accept your advice!

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03
    Using JRE version 1.6.0_03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Colin

----------------------------------------------------
    c: clear console window
    f: finalize objects on finalization queue
    g: garbage collect
    h: display this help message
    l: dump classloader list
    m: print memory usage
    o: trigger logging
    p: reload proxy configuration
    q: hide console
    r: reload policy configuration
    s: dump system and deployment properties
    t: dump thread list
    v: dump thread stack
    x: clear classloader cache
    0-5: set trace level to <n>

Other than that, I have no knowledge about the technical side of computers, and have found this by 'accident' - and thanks to you!